Epilogue

Ms. Church was taken to prison. There was a trial for her, Danny witnessed to it and Regina Church was sentenced to life in prison. Something Danny was opening she'd receive, although she knew the court system was not always fair. Ms. Church confessed to it immediately, she didn't even try to deny it. 

"Shannon and I came into contact the year I moved here. She was in tenth grade at the time, she began coming to me for help for english class, where she was a student of mine. We began to spend more time together when summer came. She'd come to me as a friend, until it escalated into more. On the night of her death, we began drinking once she came to my house and things got out of hand. I started to get scared that she might tell someone and that my career would be gone. I killed her. I kept the body because I didn't know where else to hide her and at that point I was no a suspect." 

Danny sat in the courtroom. She cried but was able to keep focused on why she was there. What the police or Regina could explain was the polaroid picture that Danny gave to the police, saying this how she knew. Regina said she didn't own a polaroid camera and never took pictures of the body, the police searched her house and there was no evidence of a polaroid camera or any form of photos of Shannon's body. 

"How did you know this was Regina Church's cellar?" a detective asked. 

"When Mr. Church first moved here, Shannon and I saw her moving in before school started and we offered to help her. She showed us around her house and remember seeing the cellar thinking that it was stupid to have a cellar that was so shallow." 

Danny was able to speak to Regina, after the sentencing. 

"She always talked about," Regina said. "Danny this, Danny that. She really loved you, you know?"

"I do," Danny said. 

It was surprising to learn all of this about her best friend. Danny had no idea Shannon and Ms. Church had something going on that summer. It made since in some ways, Danny did remember Shannon getting defensive over Ms. Church if she overheard anyone say anything about why Ms. Church was still single or that she wasn't a good teacher. At the time Danny just shrugged it off. 

It was only March at this point, school still had another two months before it was over, but since her English teacher was now in prison, Danny was able to graduate early. The reception for the seniors would still be held in May but Danny never planned to go to that anyway. She didn't tell Louis. He had been trying to be supportive of Danny through her grief, he had been doing a good job but Danny kept her distance. She refused to be trapped by him. So, she slowly came up with a plan to leave and not return. 

She bought a train ticket to Oregon, a random choice, but she had been corresponding with an adviser there for college. She would start this August. She left a note for Louis, thanking him for letting her stay but telling him that she couldn't stay here. It was time for her to leave. 

Danny only saw Shannon once more. 

"You have to explain to me how I'm still seeing you Shannon," Danny said. 

Shannon just smiled and so did Danny.

"Thank you," Shannon said. 

Danny smiled and nodded. "You're welcome." 

"I miss you."

"I miss you too."