Underage Kidnapping

Come to think about it, I’ve been doing a lot of running lately. Like when I told Gerard that I’m planning on joining the track team, that was a lie to dodge any question he might ask me. But now I was thinking of actually doing it. I mean, if I could outrun werewolves and giant lizard, track team would be a piece of cake.

Take this moment for instance.

My footsteps echoed off the pavement as I sprinted after the kanima, er… Jackson. It was probably midnight already, only an hour after Derek and I had our moment on my roof. Seemed like I wasn’t passed out for as long as it felt, I mean, with that weird dream I had and everything. We were in the middle of another tender kissing moment when Stiles called, saying that he and Scott were hot on the kanima’s trail and would really appreciate some extra help. Let’s just say that they were hot on Jackson’s trail but lost him in pursuit.

At first, Derek refused that I go with him, but then I made it perfectly clear that from now on, we do everything together. That’s all way that we’re going to catch Jackson in the end, and since we couldn’t exactly go on normal dates, chasing giant lizards was as close to a couple activity we’ll get.

Derek was right behind me as we chased after the kanima, passing through alleyways and construction sites. We encountered several gates and fences on our way, which the kanima effortlessly hopped over. Derek climbed them and flipped over to the other sides, while I used the walls on the sides as leverage to run up against, flinging my body over the obstacles gracefully.

“Showoff.” I heard Derek growl in his husky werewolf voice.

“Eat my dust, wolfie.” I couldn’t help smirking and passed him as we ran.

“You’ll pay for that later.”

Trust me, I couldn’t wait. But first, Jackson. And speaking of bullshit, we followed his scent all the way to an abandoned bridge that used to be under construction. There was no one in sight and everything was pitch dark. The only light provided was the moon and the buildings on the other side of the street. Jackson disappeared into thin air, but his scent clung to the air that gave his presence away.

“Damn it!” Derek raked his fingers through his hair, “We lost him.”

“No, no, he’s here.” I calmed him and took a deep whiff of the air, “I can smell him.”

He stared at me like I grew a tail and horns and opened his mouth to say what he’s been thinking, but before he could utter a sound the kanima dropped from the bottom of the bridge and landed behind us. I took a fighting stance as it hissed and heard Derek growl at it in return, fully shifted now. The kanima lashed out and Derek was just in time to dodge its poisoned claws.

Here we go again.

I rolled my shoulders and shifted - I’m just going to call it that until I figure out what I am. By the time I assumed my eyes changed colour and felt my fangs poke at my lip, Derek had kicked the kanima into a wall and threw a punch at it. It ducked underneath his arm and Derek’s fist collided with the concrete, causing it to crumble under his strength. The kanima rammed him into the pavement and lifted its claws to finish him off.

A deep, blood-chilling growl ripped through me before I dashed in between them and kicked the lizard back. It slithered to its feet in less than a second and fixed its eyes on me. Damn, if I thought Jackson was annoying to look at before, then this probably broke the record now. I dodged its claws when it came at me, ducking underneath its scaly arms and kneed it in the gut. While it was hunched over, I grabbed it by the throat and slammed it into the ground, roaring into its face. For a split second the lizard seemed to flinch back, but only after the noise died down, it hissed and kicked me off its reptilian body.