3.05: chapter thirty-four

S C O T T

The second Edi, Jay, and Kelly filed out of our apartment, Connor whiped towards me. I only had time to shoot Con a sheepish smile before he pushed me down onto the couch and crossed his arms over his chest, glaring down at me. I had only seen Connor get made a couple of times, but now was definitely one of them.

"You're an idiot," Connor stated, and I glared right back at him. I pursed my lips in annoyance and Con just shook his head, "Like, if there was a scale of idiots, you'd be at the top. Right at the top! 'Scott Wilson' would be written as the top idiot."

I leaned back against the couch and scowled at him, "I get it."

"No, no you don't," Connor said, leaning forward and snatching the pillow out from behind me. He flung it behind him and Miguel hissed and ran away, "If you got it, you'd agree that you're the top idiot in the world."

I sighed and slouched further against the couch, staring at Connor. I still wasn't even sure what I had done wrong, but Connor seemed totally intent on letting me know what I had done. Or, at least, totally intent to pace in front of me and say how big of an idiot I was. Honestly, I didn't get it; I didn't understand what I had done wrong.

"When Elle says she just wants to spend time together, you don't blow her off when that's a time to spend time together - "

"Hold on," I said, leaning forward in my seat. I narrowed my eyes at Con and ruffled up my messy hair, "How the hell did you even hear what she said? I was talking to her on the phone."

Connor stared at me, mouth open, and sighed loudly, waving his hands frantically at the walls, "Paper thin walls, Scott! Plus you keep your phone on the loudest volume. It would be hard for me to have not heard your conversation."

"Or, you mean, you leaned against my door so you could hear perfectly."

Connor waved his hand, brushing off the topic. I groaned and went to sit up, and Connor, with a surprising amount of strength, pushed me back down onto the couch. I stared up at him, adjusted my shirt, and Con just shrugged, still staring down at me. I knew I wouldn't be getting out of this until Con had totally gotten his point across.

"I'm going to explain this to you, all right?" I opened my mouth to say something, but Connor just continued, "Don't say anything. When you speak, it makes me want to shoot you and I really don't want a criminal record. I'd die in jail."

I rolled my eyes, but a smile tugged on my lips nontheless, "Great - "

"Sit down!" reluctantly, I held up my hands and sank back down into the couch, "You're a hockey player for a fucking official team, man! I don't know if you've noticed, but you've been pretty busy, yeah? Elle got sick, and you guys spent a good amount of time apart. And that's fine, but you guys usually don't go days without seeing each other."

I nodded, because, for once, Connor was actually making sense. I had been pretty busy recently, and Elle herself had a lot on her plate. Between her getting sick, and me being bombarded with practices, we hadn't had a lot of time together. I clasped my hands together and nodded for Connor to continue.

"Good," he mumbled, stopping his pacing to stare at me. Con tugged on his dark hair and paused, "When Elle asked you to practice, it wasn't really about practicing, dude. She even said that on the phone! Then you had to go and be a dumbass and tell her you don't need any more practices, but, you know what? That was just a way to spend time together."

I stared at Connor, and blurted out the one thing Elle had said yesterday that seemed good, "She told me bailing was fine!"

"Fine?" Connor said slowly, eyes widening in shock. He waved his hands at me frantically and I slowly leaned further back against the couch, "You dumbass! Do you know what fine means to a girl? Fine means, 'fuck you you asshole, don't talk to me'. That's what fine means!"