Chapter 9: The Test

A day passed and Adam had yet to hear another word from Lydia, Barbara, or Beetlejuice. He was starting to get anxious that Lydia had refused the deal.

But, luckily, just as Adam was about to call out for Barbara the trapdoor opened and Lydia came through. She walked up to him, her arms crossed. "Delia and her little sister are coming over, we'll see how your boyfriend does."

Adam glared up at her, "he'll do fine. And he'll prove you wrong." He stated and Lydia just shrugged and untied him.

"We'll see," was all she said, "follow me."

Adam sat up, cupping his stomach slightly as it throbbed in pain. They made their way down the ladder and into the living room.

"Adam!" Beetlejuice's voice called out and Adam turned around to see Beetlejuice standing behind him, his hands unbound.

Adam launched himself into the demon's awaiting arms. He breathed in the rusty scent of Beetlejuice and sighed in relief as the his arms wrapped around him.

"Adam," Beetlejuice mumbled into his hair and Adam closed his eyes.

"You're safe," Adam breathed.

"And so are you, and we're back together now," he pulled back and cupped his cheek, "and I promise you I will never let this happen again. I will not attack these people. I'll prove to them that I've changed."

"I know you will," Adam whispered and leaned up, kissing BJ. Beetlejuice pulled him closer and kissed back.

Barbara coughed and they pulled apart, Adam looking down. "Sorry," he said but Beetlejuice kept an arm around his waist.

"Let's just get to it, shall we?" Lydia said and picked up her phone. "Delia, you there?" After a quiet moment she said, "yes, we're ready, come on in."

The front door opened and Delia and a young, scared looking girl entered. Delia smiled and waved at Lydia, whispering something to her sister.

Adam glanced over at Beetlejuice who was staring at the little girl, his hand twitching. "Don't," Adam told him.

BJ looked over at him and his eyes softened, "If you don't want me to I won't." Adam leaned further into the demon and watched as Lydia talked with Delia and her sister.

Beetlejuice was watching them with interest, but not making a move to do anything. Lydia kept glancing over at BJ, but said nothing about him.

Finally, Lydia and Delia said goodbye and Delia and her sister walked out of the house, the door shutting behind them. Lydia turned to Beetlejuice, shaking her head in disbelief.

"How... You're a demon. From our last experience together you shouldn't have been able to resist the urge to... I don't understand."

Adam let his eyes drift to his... His lover and noticed that BJ's eyes were on him as well. "I wanted to, I really did, but Adam said no and I... I didn't want to make him upset."

Adam stared at him and latched his arms around his neck, hugging him and burying his face in his neck. "I'm so proud of you," he murmured against his skin.

Beetlejuice's arms wrapped around him, strong and safe. "All for you, you made me see that there's more than scaring people. I love you Adam."

Adam froze but nodded. "I can't believe I fell in love with a demon." He said, smiling softly.

BJ smirked down at him, "a hot demon."

Adam laughed and nodded, "yes, a hot demon."

***

Weeks passed and things had changed quite a bit. Adam and Beetlejuice had free roam of the house and were now attached at the hip. Lydia has accepted BJ but was still wary of him. Barbara was still a good friend of Adam's and they had discussed what would happen next.

They decided to split up but remain friends of course. And at the moment the two of them were watching tv up in the attic. Adam looked around and scratched his head. "Do you know where BJ is?" He asked, Barbara turned to him.

"No. I haven't seen him." She said and when he said nothing she huffed, "go find him you goof."

"What? No, we're watching-"

"Just go Adam," she insisted and after a moment he stood up and walked towards the ladder.

"Hey Barbara?" He said.

"Yes?"

"Thank you," he smiled.

"For what?"

"Everything," he told her genuinely and she gave him a small smile. He gave her one back and climbed down the ladder. He walked out into the living room to see Lydia sitting on the couch, reading a book.

"Hey Adam," she said without looking up.

"Have you seen Beetlejuice anywhere?" He asked.

"Yeah, he was looking for you. He's in the spare room I believe."

"Thanks Lydia," he said and started walking off.

"Adam," she said and he paused. Lydia set her book down, "I wanted to apologize for being so paranoid about Beetlejuice. He really has changed, and maybe he wasn't so bad in the first place."

Adam smiled softly and walked up, hugging her, "thank you Lydia." Lydia nodded and squeezed him before pushing him away.

"Alright, enough of this gushy stuff, go do that with your man." Lydia told him, picking up her book again.

Adam gave one solid nod and walked to the quest room, knocking on the door. "Beetlejuice?" He called out.

The door opened and there was Beetlejuice. He looked the same as he had the first day they'd met. "Ah, just the sexy man I was looking for," Beetlejuice grinned and Adam blushed, smiling.

"Where have you been?" He asked as Beetlejuice let him into the room, shutting the door behind him.

"Sleeping," BJ answered with a shrug and Adam laughed.

"Of course," he replied. He looked around the room and blinked.

"Hey Adam?"

"Yeah-" arms wrapped around his waist and pulled him close to BJ's chest.

"You're sexy," his lover whispered against his lips and he chuckled.

"You too, Beetlejuice, you too."