Chapter 8: Break the Curse

"What??!" She nearly yelled and Beetlejuice sat up quickly, rubbing his eyes.

"Adam..." He murmured and then looked at Lydia, "go away." He whispered and wrapped an arm around Adam, pulling him on top of him and kissing him.

Adam was pulled away by strong arms and thrown to the floor. "What the hell is wrong with you Adam??? You have a wife! You're literally so stupid, what is wrong with you?"

"Hey," Beetlejuice growled, standing up and glaring, "don't talk to him like that."

"And what will you do if I continue? Huh beetlejuice, what will you do?" Lydia shouted.

Beetlejuice just walked up to Adam and offered him a hand. But Lydia held out a knife and jabbed it at him. "Stay back Beetlejuice."

"You wouldn't hurt Adam." He said plainly and started walking forward again.

"I'm serious, stay back, I will stab you."

Beetlejuice just shook his head and took another step forward, "Adam, are you aliri-" Lydia stabbed the knife into his arm and Beetlejuice jumped back, clutching his arm, but his eyes were on Adam as he yelled out in pain.

"Adam!" BJ turned his eyes to Lydia and snarled, "I'll kill you."

"Beetlejuice...don't." Adam said from the floor and tried to climb to his feet but Lydia kicked him in the stomach, making both men groan.

"You fucking bitch," Beetlejuice yelled and lunged at her. They started fighting over the knife and Adam winced as pain slid across his chin.

He grabbed Beetlejuice's arm and desperately tried to pull him off Lydia, but he wouldn't budge. And now Beetlejuice was forcing the knife down towards Lydia's throat.

"Beetlejuice stop!" Adam cried out and his lover halted, giving Lydia the chance to stab him in the stomach. Adam froze and looked down to see his own stomach dripping blood. But he didn't care. He grabbed Beetlejuice and tugged him back even as his stomach protested.

"Beetlejuice!" Adam clutched his face in his hands and clenched his teeth. BJ opened his eyes and breathed a pant of relief. Adam cried and hugged him but he was pulled away from Beetlejuice.

He began screaming and thrashing and Beetlejuice was instantly on his feet, but Lydia held a knife to Adam's throat and they all froze.

"Alright. This is how it's going to work. Adam you're going to say: 'helmo marido yek.' And Beetlejuice you're going to stay right there. Say it Adam."

Adam knew what those words would do, they would break the curse between them and then Lydia would kill Beetlejuice.

"No," Adam snapped, "I won't say it."

"Do you want to die- go to the netherworld!?" Lydia pressed the knife closer and Adam felt the metal against his skin.

"I- I won't say it."

"Adam... Just say it." Beetlejuice said from across the room, he met his gaze, "as long as you're safe, everything will be okay."

"No, it fucking won't! You- you'll be dead!" Adam shouted, tears leaking from his eyes.

"Just say it already!" Lydia snapped.

"Adam," Beetlejuice said softly, "these past few weeks have been the best weeks of my life- alive and not- and I wouldn't wish for them to be spent any other way. Just say it. Everything will be okay. I promise."

"No, no, I won't say it..." Adam rasped and Beetlejuice looked down.

"Please Adam."

"I've had enough of this," Lydia snapped and called out Barbara's name and she came up the ladder. "Tie up Beetlejuice and take him to my room."

Barbara looked to Adam and frowned before nodding and starting to tie BJ up. Lydia did the same with Adam and then Beetlejuice was pulled down the ladder. Adam struggled as they did this and soon he was left alone in the attic.

He thrashed against his restraints but to no avail. He clenched his teeth as he thought about what they were doing to BJ. He panted through his teeth.

He looked down at his stomach and noticed that the bleeding hadn't stopped. If they didn't hurry he would bleed out and then...

The trapdoor opened and Barbara came in, holding a first aid kit. She kneeled beside him and pulled up his shirt to reveal the wound. He winced as she pressed a gauze against it.

"Barbara..." She looked up at him, her eyes dull, "I'm sorry." She shook her head.

"Adam... It's not the fact that you love him, it's the fact that he is who he is. He's Beetlejuice, a literal demon. One who sexually harassed us and tried to kill Lydia and many others. Adam, he's evil."

"He's not though," Adam told her, shaking his head, "he's changed, he's different now and even if he wasn't..."

Barbara sighed, "you have to say it."

"I won't, you'll kill him." Adam said.

Barbara looked him in the eye, "Adam, we can't just let him live. Not when we don't know his intentions."

"Well. What if- what if we did a test?"

"A test?" Barbara questioned.

"Like, to see if he's good? We- we could invite someone over and see how he reacts, if he tries to kill or scare them?"

Barbara paused, "that... could work... I'll talk to Lydia."

"Thank you- thank you so much." Adam said, sighing in relief. Barbara only nodded and made her way towards the ladder, she halted before it.

"If this works and Beetlejuice is in fact good... You'll be free of any commitment to me." She said quietly before climbing down the ladder.