Chapter 32

It would be the last time Nico ever shadow traveled, and it wasn't even that glorious. From his position in a car with Jules Albert and a couple Romans-turned-good, he disappeared into the shadows to reappear on Half-Blood Hill.

But it wasn't that easy, it wasn't a quick jump and then everything was alright. It was limbs turning to smoke, it was the shadows calling: become one, become all. It was feeling like he would never make it to that hill. But then he did.

Nico fell to his knees beside Thalia's pine, leaning his head against it as he watched his limbs reform in the pale sunlight. It was strange, the panic missing-limbs caused. The feeling that your body wasn't your body anymore, no matter how much time it had gone through.

"Nico?"

Nico spun around with his sword at the ready, all his instincts screaming he was under attack, fight or flea, kill kill kill. But the throat he almost slit wasn't an enemy.

It was Will Solace. In enemy territory.

"Put that down!" Will hissed. "What are you doing here?"

"Me?" Nico asked, lowering his sword. "What are you doing? Trying to get yourself killed?"

Will scowled. "Hey, we're scouting the enemy. We took precautions."

"You dressed in black," Nico noted, "with the sun coming up. You painted your face but didn't cover that mop of blond hair. You might as well be waving a yellow flag."

Will's ears turned red. "Lou Ellen wrapped some Mist around us, too."

The girl next to him waved. "Hi. You're Nico, right? I've heard a lot about you from Will. And this is Cecil from Hermes cabin."

Nico knelt next to Will. "Did Coach Hedge make it on time?"

Lou Ellen nodded. "Did he ever."

Will elbowed her. "Yeah. Hedge is fine. He made it just in time for the baby's birth."

Nico grinned. "That baby's alright?"

"Fine. A very cute little satyr boy." Will shuddered. "But I delivered it. Have you ever delivered a baby?"

"Um, no."

"I had to get some fresh air," Will continued. "That's why I volunteered for this mission. Gods of Olympus, my hands are still shaking. See?"

He reached out and grabbed Nico's hands, the contact feeling so right. It had been so long since he had felt Will Solace's skin, felt the life within him.

Nico shook his head to clear the thoughts, trying to keep his brain on the battle that was about to begin. "Whatever. We don't have time. The Romans are attacking at dawn and I've got to-"

"I know," Will said. "But if you're planning to shadow travel to that command tent, forget it."

Nico cursed Will for knowing so much about him. "Excuse me?"

Will looked into his eyes. "Coach Hedge told me all about your shadow travel, and don't forget what you went through when you were just learning it. I was there, remember? Or did you just forget that? You can't try it again."

"I just did try it again, Will. I'm fine."

"No, you're not. I could feel the darkness in your hand as soon as I touched it. Even if you made it to that tent, you'd be in no shape to fight. But you wouldn't make it. One more slip, and you won't come back. You are not shadow traveling. Doctor's orders."

"The camp is about to be destroyed-"

"And we'll stop the Romans," Will said. "But we'll do it our way. Lou Ellen will control the Mist. We'll sneak around, do as much damage as we can to those onagers. But no shadow travel."