Chapter 9

Nico made the mistake of taking a nap. He was exhausted, cold, sick and tired of all the stares. So Percy let him use his cabin, where he immediately fell asleep on Percy's bed.

But it didn't come without a price.

His dreams shifted from old memories of the war to what looked like a throne room. Before him, a man stood that looked all too much like him.

"Father?"

"Nico." Hades was wearing his robe made from tormented souls, the faces all too distracting for his son. "We can't talk for long. I don't need anyone else getting word of this."

Nico stared at him, stared into dark eyes that looked so similar to his own. "You really are my father..."

Hades sighed. "Listen to me. I have a deal for you. If you do what I want, I'll make sure you figure out what happened to your family."

Nico stepped forward. "Seriously?"

Hades nodded. "But I need you to-"

"I'll do anything," Nico promised. "You'll really tell me what happened? I couldn't find Bianca or momma in the fields, no matter how long I searched. And-"

"Silence!" Hades ordered.

Nico shut his mouth and straightened up.

"Good. Now..." Hades crossed his arms. "You're planning on taking Percy to the Underworld to bathe in the River Styx, are you not?"

Nico nodded. "I've been trying to get him to agree, sir."

"Get him to agree," Hades ordered. "And bring him here, to my palace, when you do."

"...why?" Nico asked. "What do you want with him?"

"I need to talk to him. Now, do you agree?"

"I bring him to you, you tell me about momma and Bianca?" Nico asked.

Hades nodded.

"Then yes, of course, I agree."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They burned Beckendorf's shroud, a sight that sobered the entire camp. Nico sat and stared at the flames as others left, soon only him, Percy, Clarisse, and Chris left to stay with Silena.

He wanted to go to the Underworld, check on his soul for her. But he wasn't sure if he'd make it back.

"Hey, Silena, I'm really sorry." Percy's voice caused Nico to look over. He had walked over to the poor girl, no doubt feeling some kind of survivor's guilt. Nico had had his fair share of it in the past. "Silena, you know Beckendorf carried your picture. He looked at it right before we went into battle. You meant a lot to him. You made the last year the best of his life."

Silena sobbed worse.

"Good work, Percy," Clarisse muttered.

"No, it's all right," Silena said. "Thank . . . thank you, Percy. I should go."

"You want company?" Clarisse asked. Silena shook her head and ran off.

"She's stronger than she looks," Clarisse muttered, almost to herself. "She'll survive."

"You could help with that," Percy suggested. "You could honor Beckendorf's memory by fighting with us."

"Not my problem," she growled. "My cabin doesn't get honor, I don't fight."

"All right," Percy told her. "I didn't want to bring this up, but you owe me one. You'd be rotting in a Cyclops's cave in the Sea of Monsters if it wasn't for me."