Chapter 67: Chaos Unfolding

After we gave the kids to Cora we drove to the school.

We walked in, honestly this school should have a better security system.

"Scott," Kira said, but he didn't turn around.

"He's a little preoccupied," Derek said, making her turn. "But I can help you."

Why would you want to help me?"

"Because I want you to tell me everything that happened at the power station with William Barrow. Actually, I want you to show me."

Kira followed us and we got into the car.

"You don't have to be nervous," I said. "We are just trying to figure everything out."

"And you think I have something to do with it?"

"Possibly."

Derek glanced at me, knowing I was lying.

Only he could tell when I was lying which irked me.

What was my tell?

"It was around here, I think," Kira said as we walked into the power station. "But everything kind of looks the same now."

"Just try to remember," I said encouragingly.

Derek stopped and we followed suit as he looked at something on the fuse box. 

"What is it?" I asked.

"Is that a baseball bat?" Kira asked.

"It's Stiles's bat," he answered, struggling to pull it off. He managed to get it off and looked at the ground and saw lines leading up to the fuse box.

Derek placed the baseball bat on the ground and followed the scratches until he was pulled into the fuse box. "It's magnetized. Kira, I'm going to need you to tell me everything you know about foxfire."

I rubbed my temple. We were right. I wish we weren't.
~
We parked in the hospital and jumped out.

"I don't know if I should go in," Kira said. "You're going to tell Scott that Barrow might have used foxfire created by me to jump start the Nogitsune's power inside Stiles."

"Yeah," Derek said not getting it.

"Basically that I helped a dark spirit take control of his best friend."

Derek nodded. "You should probably wait here."

Kira nodded as we walked into the hospital.

We met with Scott in the hallway.

"Hey, how is he?" I asked.

"They're running some tests... he uh may have what his mom had."

"What?" I asked surprised. "How?"

"It's the only dementia that can hit teens."

"But-"

Derek placed a hand on my shoulder stopping me, now was not the time.

We sat down across from Scott and Derek rested his elbows on his knees.

I slowly ran my hand up and down his back nervously.

"You know the stuff you we're telling me about chemo signals earlier? It reminded me of the time you we're teaching me to use anger to control the shift," Scott said.

I softly smiled, that seemed like such a long time ago, yet just like yesterday at the same time.

"I think Lizbeth ended up teaching me more about that," Derek said, glancing at me and smiling.

I blushed and smiled, relaxing a bit.

"Are you teaching me again?" Scott asked.

"Think of it more like sharing a few trade secrets. You know, I took Cora back to South America, right? It's where she spent most of her time after the fire. But that's not the only reason I left. I needed to talk to my mother."

I let my hand rest and slowly rubbed circles with my thumb to try helping comfort him.

"Your dead mother?"

"She told me something that changed my perspective on a lot of things. She said that my family didn't just live in Beacon Hills. They protected it. This town needs someone to protect it. Someone like you."

"And someone like you to teach me a few trade secrets."

Scott then jumped up.

"What?" I asked.

"He was trying to protect us. Stiles was protecting us."

"From what?"

"From himself."

I looked at Derek who jumped up.

We ran to the roof.

"What are we looking for?" Derek asked.

"I'm not sure. But I think Stiles wasn't just up here struggling with himself. I think he was struggling not to do something."

We looked around and Scott stopped when he felt something on a vent.

He pulled it down and it was a bag full of tools and wires.

I glanced at Derek.

"That doesn't look good," I said.

We all looked at each other and then a chord snapped, causing huge sparks.

Derek grabbed my arm and yanked me behind him as we quickly backed up.

Scott backed up as well and there was an explosion.

Derek wrapped his arms around me and covered my head.

I felt Derek slowly release his hold on me and I looked up.

"Something tells me Stiles did whatever he was trying not to do," I gasped looking down and seeing the chaos that was unfolding.