Chapter One: When I Met You...

*UNEDITED*

+ + +

"Autumn Estelle, 18 years old."

I listened for the next question the judges asked me. Really all I could hear was the buzzing in my ear.

"Honey, what are you singing?" Gary had to repeat.

"An original," I answered.

The looks on their faces didn't surprise me. It was risky to sing my own song but it was me. I wasn't going to sing something that wasn't from the heart. How on earth can a girl connect to the audience when it's not her own? When she can't connect because there's no possible way to relate? I wasn't going to make the riskier decision of singing what wasn't mine actually. I had full confidence in my own song.... Well more than I would if I were singing a random pop song.

"Okay, go ahead," someone told me. I wasn't looking up so I couldn't tell who. I was looking at the fretboard on my guitar. Then I began.

Believe it or not, this isn't the moment where my story started. This story begins when I met George Shelley.

***

This was back two years ago when I had recently turned 16 on October 12. I was a shy girl then. The only things that kept me company were my cat Lunette and my music. Ever since my mom's death I'd been very lonely. My dad was never there for me because he was always out; I practically took care of myself. The only memory I had of my mom was Lunette because my mom got her for me on my 14 birthday. That was a week before she died on October 19, 2009. I won't ever forgive that man who chose t drive when he was drunk. That's what I hate about my dad spending all his time out at the bar. He could cause someone else the same pain we have. Two years and my dad literally has nothing around the house that's hers. He got rid of it all. I wouldn't let him take Lunette though. She was all I had. I never really had any friends because we moved all the time and I never talk so how could I? Music was my friend. A guitar, my piano, and voice. I was set for life. There was no other necessity. I've learned to live without a parental guardian so I was fine with taking care of myself and I was looking for jobs that I could use my music for. Today I was going out to my local coffee shoppe to see if I could perform at all. Maybe to a couple free gigs and if they were okay with it maybe even get payed. The one place I wasn't shy was when I was performing. I could do that. I didn't need to talk to anyone or try to change my image. I was just ME. Autumn Lyn Estelle. In those moments I was actually okay being me. I wasn't embarrassed at all or nervous or afraid. I was confident in my music. I didn't feel like I was the most amazing person in the world but I definitely didn't lack confidence in my playing. I got this gift from my mom. That's the other thing I did get to keep. The gifts she passed on. My mother was an excellent musician. With violin, piano, guitar, harp, and singing. A true talent. She was also the best artist in the world. She could paint and draw for days. It was beautiful. She was beautiful.