Chapter Ten | Eight

“So... what's going on?” Paze asked. Once he started, he kept spewing questions. “What was that? How were you fighting? Was that magic? Are we in Jiren? How did we get here? What's up with that darkness and cold in the library? Was it the same as that thing that was attacking? But that felt different. Who are you guys anyway?”

“Would you shut up already?” Shim shouted.

Paze's mouth hung open from his last word. Zorn put a hand on his shoulder, and he closed his mouth and looked at his best friend. Though he tried to smile, Zorn was shaking and... were those tears?

“Daya, are you okay?” Shim asked, his attention back on his ward. “What happened to you?”

She sat up against a tree. “I'm not sure. I just felt weak all of a sudden.”

“Wait,” Mink said, “that wasn't you?”

Daya shook her head.

“Then who cast it?” He looked around at everyone, but none of them spoke up. “Maybe there's someone else?”

Lith perked up. “I remember seeing a person!”

Mink glanced at her. “Who?”

“I don't know. They ran by so fast because... because your father was chasing them.”

Paze stepped forward. “That was your dad?”

“Another demon,” Shim murmured, glaring at Mink.

“Hey, I didn't choose him for a father!” he countered. He stepped back, forcing Lith with him. “Didn't you see anything that was going on? I was fighting him.”

Tori stood in front of her brother, facing Shim. “Leave him alone! He doesn't mean any harm!”

Mink pushed her aside. “Stop defending me. Maybe I do want to harm this racist soldier.”

“Do you think you can?”

“Stop it!” Lith shouted. “Mink, you can hardly stand.”

“Shim,” Daya added, “don't be so reckless...”

Paze started backing up, pulling at Zorn's shirt. “Maybe we should go.”

“Wait,” Zorn replied. “We were sent here for a reason. Don't you think we should figure out what?” He meant for only his friend to hear, but soon the others were listening. “You can see I'm scared, can't you? But we can't just leave this. We've been called to start our Hero's Journey.”

“You're right, this is bigger than us,” Tami said.

Zorn turned around to see everyone was looking at him, so he blushed. He wasn't used to so many people gazing his way.

Tami continued, “Zorn and I met a woman who told us there was danger in Jiren, and that we were needed to stop it. I can't help thinking all of us here are needed. So, can you stop fighting so we can figure this out?”

Mink smiled. “Of course, Tami. Seems like you've grown up.”

She smiled back. “Good to see you again. I missed you. Tori, you too.”

“You know each other?” Paze asked.

“Yes, we—”

“When you say this woman spoke about danger,” Shim interrupted, “do you think it has anything to do with the darkness that attacked Daya and that boy?”

“He, that boy happens to have a name,” Paze said.

“Yes,” Mink said. “Before we puzzle about any danger or darkness in Jiren, how about we introduce ourselves? I'll start. My name is Mink and this is my sister Tori. You all met my father, and he killed my mother. Lith, your turn.”

Lith looked taken aback. “Oh... okay. I'm Lith. My sister, Tami, and I were separated until now. Um, is that good?”

“I'm Paze. Zorn and I are best buds,” he said with his arm around Zorn's shoulders. “Please don't tell me we're the only ones from Earth.”

“I guess it's my turn. My name is Hasheem, son of Tsunai. I was put in charge of this young woman's safety. I told the general I would be back at camp by nightfall, so I don't think I'll go with you on this ridiculous adventure.”

“Shim, you have to!” Daya said. “Can't you see? There are eight of us; four girls, four boys. Don't you think that means something?”

“Isn't seven a magical number? I have other duties. Count me out. And you shouldn't join them either, Daya. It'll be dangerous.”

“That's why you should come,” Daya countered. “You're the son of a general. You must be strong!”

“Hey, um, what about that person the demon was chasing after?” Lith said. “Do you think we should help whoever it was?”

Shim sighed. “I should probably get rid of the demon, seeing as it caused so much damage.”

“That's my father you know,” Mink growled.

“I thought you didn't choose him,” Shim smirked.

“Why you...” Mink said, throwing himself from Lith's support.

“You wanna fight, demon boy?” Shim taunted, drawing his sword.

“Stop it already!” Lith said. She hugged Mink from behind, mostly because he was about to fall. “Let's just go after them and stop fighting!”

Shim put his sword away. “Fine, but after that I'm leaving.”

“I think you'll find a reason to stay,” Paze said with a broad smile.

Did you know? In 2010, I originally posted a few chapters of this story on CampHalfBlood.org, a role playing site.