Chapter Nine | Deni

Gotta get away from them.

Deni ran through the forest, dodging attacks from Mink's father and avoiding all towns. He completely ignored the enemy's taunts as he searched for the best location.

Can't let anyone get hurt.

Finally they were far enough away from any village. Though he could see them, he knew the Demon Mountains were close to the north. Now was a good time as ever to fight back.

Deni spun around mid-step. The enemy didn't have time to react and stumbled to the ground. Deni did a back-flip and landed on the monster's back. He started attacking before it could stand.

“Get off me, pest!” The demon roared.

“No, that's okay. I can hit you just fine from up here, thanks.”

The demon growled and sent out a wave of magic. The pulse threw Deni into a tree. He cried out in pain, but still landed on his feet. By the time he was standing steady, the demon had already turned to face him.

“You think you can beat me? You're just a bug I can crush in my fist!”

“Don't you know?” Deni taunted. “Bugs are hard to catch.” He rolled to the side and ran at the demon, firing magic as he approached.

The demon seemed hardly affected on the outside, but Deni could see the pain in its eyes as it turned to him. It swung a hand out to catch him, and he jumped back. The demon's other hand was there to grab him instead.

“That wasn't so hard.”

Panic surged through Deni. The demon was quicker than he thought. It started squeezing until Deni couldn't breathe.

“Prepare to die, fool!”

Deni concentrated, though his mind was getting clouded. He imagined his magic forming a ball growing denser and denser as more magic poured in. He waited until the last moment, when he was sure he would pass out, and then pushed the magic outward, forcing the demon's hand open.

He fell to the ground, the monster's roar ringing in his ears. He heard a crack as his arm collided with a rock, and he also cried out in pain.

Deni's magic had been condenced enough to knock the demon off its feet. Though it was obviously weakened, it crawled toward Deni.

“I won't forgive you for that!”

Deni wheezed a laugh. “You don't—have much—time left—for forgiving.”

“You think you can still beat me?”

“I know I can.”

Deni made the ball again, this time in front of his left hand. He pushed every bit of magic he had into the ball. After this attack, his only hope would be for someone to find him.

“Time to say goodbye.”

Seeing the intense magic, the demon's eyes went wide. “How are you so powerful?”

The demon didn't get an answer. Deni let his power loose, blasting a crater in the forest. Then his hand fell as his mind slipped into darkness.

Did you know? I mapped out this scene a few days before writing it.