⚫Chapter 16⚫

Tuesday, July 16

"Hey, guys. I've been meaning to ask you something," I said to the boys. We were currently skipping rocks against Jade lake. It was around 8 pm. "Go ahead," Palinourous said. "Ok. On Protection Day, while Kai and I were walking back to the stable, I overheard some Elves talking. I understood immediately because they were speaking in English. They mentioned something about me being the man who will be transformed, but then they said Othorion was already chosen by the King. What did they mean by that?" I asked them.

Dior and Kai immediately looked at each other while Palinourus and Carnelian just twisted their mouths as fixed their gaze back onto the lake. "Well..." Dior answered. "I don't feel like it's our place to tell you."

"Yeah, I feel like Nia should tell you or the King," Carnelian said. "Nia refuses to tell me anything. And I don't think I can just go up to the king casually and just ask him that," I responded.

"What did you call her?" Dior asked.

"Who?"

"The Princess," Palinourus said.

"Nia."

"She doesn't let many call her that except for her parents, her sister, and us. Not even her fiancé Othorion," Kai exclaimed. "They're engaged?" I asked feeling shocked. I didn't know that. Why didn't she tell me? "Yup. Even though we're certain Nia doesn't even like him that way. Her parents set them up," Carnelian said. "Dang," I responded. I mean I knew there was something going on between them, but I didn't know they were getting married.

"It's interesting how she lets you call her Nia though. She only lets people close to her call her that. She must really like you. Does Othorion know you do that?" Kai asked. "No, that guy hates me."

"He's the most stuck up elf you'll ever meet. He thinks he's so important just because he's one of the best fighters in all of Aeriodvell," Dior said. "Yeah, but don't even worry about him," Palinourus added.

"I'll try best to ignore him, but back to what I asked before. You guys can just tell me. I'll figure it out sooner or later so you might as well," I said.

They all looked at each other before turning to look back at me. "I guess so. I mean Nia will not be happy but you're right," Dior said. He then turned to look at Carnelian indicating that he should go on.

"Ok, there's this book called The Book of Truths. In our native language, it is called Piic if Grogds. Us Elves like to call it The Book of Myths because not one thing in that book makes sense. It just sounds like mythical stories written by Elven scholars long ago. Anyways, there's this one myth that talks about a Two-Headed Dragon stating that sometime in the future, it will rise and become our leader. Some say that it's an actual Dragon with two heads while others believe it is a metaphor, but the myth right after that one is called The Son of the Gods. It says that one day a God-like Elf will be created and he will change history, not just for us elves, but for all creatures," he exclaimed.

"Woah," I responded. I still didn't quite understand what this had to do with me though. "But, here's the catch. King Klaern didn't believe any of this. He pretended that they didn't exist... particularly the second one. But around three-hundred years ago, he had a dream. It was one of our Gods rebuking him. They told him that the second myth isn't a myth and that it was real. The God also told him that he would be the King to create this god-like elf. So King Klaern finally gave in and decided that he was going to make a hybrid elf, despite not knowing if it would have any correlation to the myth. Take the blood of all and inject it in one. He originally chose Othorion, but now a rumour is going around that he has chosen you instead," Palinourus stated.

"What? I'm not even an elf. How would that even work?"

"It's possible," Carnelian responded.

"It is?"

"Yeah. It's quite a tedious process but it can be done," Kai added. "This is a lot to take in." I never even expected any of this. I mean, every fantasy book I've ever read had its secrets, legends, and stories, but this was real. Not some fiction novel. Real-life. "Yeah, it is. Would you agree to it though?"

"No, I mean I'm a nobody. Me changing history? That sounds like a joke. Othorion seems to be the perfect person," I responded. "On the outside, yes, but definitely not on the inside," Dior said.

-

At around 10 pm I returned back to the castle. I needed to talk to Nia. My brain was about to explode. Just as I opened my door to my bedroom, Nia exited her own with Midnight following closely behind her. As soon as Midnight noticed me, she scurried over and began nuzzling her body against my leg.

"It looks like someone missed you," Nia laughed while walking towards us. I picked Midnight up and massaged her furry back.

"Well, I missed her too." Midnight immediately leaped out of my arm and escaped into my room. Nia and I both chuckled. As I looked at Nia in the face, I suddenly remembered that I needed to speak to her. "I know what's going to happen," I told her.

"What are you talking about?" she asked me. Suddenly her face changed. "Did they tell you everything?" she asked sounding annoyed. "I don't know, but I know enough."

"They should've kept their mouths shut! You don't need to know," she exclaimed with a frown.

"Why would I not need to know? Nia you're not making any sense!" I said raising my voice. She stormed into my bedroom. I followed her and closed to door. "You're being ridiculous. If the King was considering to change me into an Elf, I have every right to know."

"You're right Xirus. You have every right to know, but he hasn't made a decision yet!"

"And that's why I am asking questions! Tell me, why don't you want me to know what's going on?"

"Xirus. Turning you into an elf might seem like fun and games, but the entire process isn't fun at all. Please don't ask any more questions. Just forget what the guys told you," she said.

"That's impossible Nia and you know that." She looked down in sorrow before looking up at me. "This is all a mistake." She exited my room leaving me standing there furious. What did she mean by this was all a mistake? Was she saying she made a mistake by coming to the human side and meeting me?

She was so confusing. I couldn't seem to understand why she was so against me knowing.

After brushing my teeth, I slipped into my bed. Midnight immediately hopped onto it and placed her body next to mine. I really wanted to rest, but already knew that I would soon experience one of my nightmares once again.