Chapter ~3~

"Murder! Here kitty, kitty!" I called out when I had reached my house. I heard a meow and my cat waltzed out of the barn, swaying with each step she took. I cautiously petted her, and, hearing her purr, I picked her up to take her inside. She was really heavy. I almost dropped her before we got inside but I made it inside before I put her down. I slammed the door shut before she could stumble back out. She had trouble turning around, but eventually she made it and headed for the couch.

I ran up the stairs, taking them two at a time, up to my room. I wanted to know now, in a right-this-second kind of way. So I rummaged through my bag in search of Twilight. I had put my marker in the page and I was opening it to search for more clues.

'Incredible speed...perfect features...strangely coloured eyes...old-fashioned ways of doing things.... How had I not noticed this before? But...it must just be a coincidence. It has to be. There is no way that vampires are real, and that's final,' I had thought to myself. I forced my brain-hamster to stop moving. I didn't want to think about that anymore...for the moment, at least.

So I just decided to wait for my parents to come home, so I could have supper, and then I could go to bed and ask Jen on the bus.

* * *

That night passed by a lot slower than I had thought it would. When my mom had come home, I was basically ripping my hair out to stop myself from breaking every single clock in the house. She had brought home the mail and some fresh tears. I had asked her what was wrong, and she told me that around noon an animal had murdered our neighbour, who was her best friend. I was absolutely horrified when I took Murder out of the house before supper. It was getting dark out. My mom made spaghetti but I didn't pay much attention. I was too busy thinking - 'no.' I had stopped myself, right before the phone started to ring.

My dad answered it, but then he hung it up with a sad look. 'Come on! Another murder!' he had said. He had then burst into tears and crumpled to the floor.

My mom had run to him and she somehow understood his sputtering and she started to cry too. Later that night I had asked my mom who was killed. She told me it was the rest of the neighbours' family. Their daughter and I had become friends, and Murder was friends with their cat Rosie. I had run up to my room, and slammed my door shut, crying myself to sleep.

In the morning I had rushed in putting on my clothes because I had forgotten to let Murder back inside. She was really mad and I had to cautiously open the door. I stood behind it and turned the knob, then high-tailed it up to my room. Taking a deep breath I peeked out my room and down the stairs then tiptoed back down to close the door. Murder was sitting in the kitchen by her empty food bowl, obviously demanding more. I decided that I would give her some tuna to soften her up a bit.

So I dug around in the cupboards for a can then opened it and dumped it on a plate. I carefully placed it on the floor and hopped onto the counter. Murder was too fat to jump up there. I waited until she was eating in bliss to slide around her and get myself breakfast.

She meowed and I slowly turned around to find her sitting by the fridge with a scowl on her face. I looked at her and then took a deep breath. I walked past her and shuddered - her eyes were following me - as I opened the door and took out the bottle of milk. She growled and I jumped ten feet into the air, nearly dropping the milk in the process. Finding my feet, I walked to a cupboard and took out a saucer, pouring the milk on it while lowering it to the ground. As soon as it touched the ground I let go of it and fled up to my room to grab my bag.

I heard the screeching of claws on the door and zipped down to open it for her. She waltzed out towards the barn and I shook off my fear and walked down my driveway to wait for my bus. Suddenly I became extremely excited. Today was a very important day for me.