Haworthia Attenuata

More commonly known as a Zebra Haworthia, Zebra Cactus, or a Pearl Plant, the haworthia will add that small wow factor to an otherwise bland or boring arrangement, especially for those who don't want anything too extreme.

It hails from South Africa, and is an exceptionally hardy plant, able to survive periods where there is less rain.

There are two primary subspecies of the haworthia: the attenuata and the fasciata. The main difference between the two are the inside of the leaves. The attenuata has those warts and bumps (tubercles) on the inside and outside of the plant; the fasciata has a remarkably smoother inner leaf.

The average haworthia will grow anywhere to 4-8 inches tall, and get about 5 inches around. They do grow in clusters in the wild, so don't be afraid to have multiple in one area in your pot. It is non-toxic for both cats and dogs, so this is a good plant to have for your furry friends.

They do bloom (although it is rarer when they're inside), and the flowers tend to be white or pink, growing from a thin stem. You'll see them in the summer, and it traditionally means that your plant is healthy and thriving (don't be worried if the plant is inside and doesn't bloom; it's normal). They're perennials; the flowers don't stick around long.

Care for your haworthia:
          - Temperatures anywhere from 65-80 degrees F, and try to avoid anything below 50 degrees, as that can lead to frost damage and can harm the plant
          - They need plenty of sun, and I prefer west-facing windows, as they get direct sunlight, rather than just a lot of sunlight
          - You can repot, but only during the spring. Try to replace the dirt every few years, to make sure there's enough nitrogen and nutrients in the soil for your succulent
          - Shallow pots tend to work better for haworthias, as their roots spread outward more than they spread down
          - Water your haworthia less than you think, as they tend to prefer being slightly underwatered to overwatered. Every few weeks is normally a good time range