Chapter Two: Life Sucks Here!

Life Sucks Here

Luke opened the letterbox, the hinges squeaked as it shut. He saw the letter, bundled in a elastic band. Power bill, gas bill, telephone bill, Foxtel, hold a sec--

"Calum Hood, 12 Steel Drive." Luke read it aloud, this wasn't his letter. His address was 12 Steelton Avenue, how did this get in the bundle? The people at the post office need to sort mail carefully. He knew the name, Calum was the boy in his mass period. The kid who sat at the back shooting spit balls at pastor Williams. He turned it over, the return address was a different state. Totally odd, he'd never known anyone from Queensland. Michael Clifford. Didn't ring a bell. It wasn't a name he heard. Michael was a common name, but not common to his ear. The letter seam was slightly opened. He shouldn't be opening other people's mail, that would be illegal. Fuck it, it might be a good read.

He opened it, ripping it's sticky flap. Inside was a crinkled sheet of paper folded in half, it smell of Brut. Brut being a signature scent by most teenage boys. It was also the stench of a Centrelink office. Luke pulled it out gently, the ink had seeped into both sides. He unfolded it.

Dear, Calum.

Life sucks here. I'm not entirely sure how to write this letter, but I'm doing it anyway. I don't know how long it would take for me to get a part time job to buy a phone. But I hear there's an opening at Target, so maybe if I applied I could get in. But, then again I'd have to tell them about...my problem. Which, you know, I hate explaining to everyone I meet. Nan enrolled me in another Christian school. It's so stupid. My locker is at the end of the longest hall in all Australian Private School history. But, other than that. How are you? Did Alice grow over the past two weeks we've been apart? I miss you. I was only thinking about you the other day, really. About the time we shoplifted and got caught. Our parents were so angry that we'd stolen one onion each. But, it was so funny. Do you think you'll ever come and see me? School holidays are two months away and I don't know how to enjoy it. I miss you buddy.

Love, Michael

Luke paused, the words "Love, Michael". He became jealous, he'd never had written a letter and never had an actual friend he loved, besides Ashton who was a dork to say the least. He could beat a drum but when the music started he became a freak of nature. But, he surely loved Ashton, in a way. Should he write back and let Michael know that his letter wasn't delivered? He didn't know what to do. This was so confusing since he's never been in such a situation. He could almost imagine what Michael looked like. He bit his lip.

"Ah!" He groaned, he bit his lip bar, the piercing was still tender from when he got it caught on Shelly Winter's teeth last week. Behind the bike sheds, making out. He didn't even like it. She was aggressive and kissed his neck too much. His penis wouldn't budge like she wished it would. She tried hard, sliding her hand into his underwear and brushing her fingertips over his pubic hair. She was overly sexual, Luke just couldn't get into it. It felt weird to him. He shook his head, playing with the piercing.

Pen and paper! He thought.

He leant down into the kitchen drawer, reaching for his mothers note pad. He took two small slips of paper, and a blue biro from his fathers desk, sitting before it. The light outside was becoming dim. He flicked on the desk lamp as it lightly shadowed the corners of the room.

Hello, Michael...