Chapter 1

"Looking for a good time, sailor?"

"Make up your mind! Just liking one guy doesn't make you gay, no more than liking one girl makes me straight!"

"You're just confused, Drew!"

Snippets of conversation swirled in his head. Was it even worth it to do this? Should he even try? The words were a giant blow to his self-esteem. He didn't think he could do it. Not yet, anyway.

But he had to, or he never would. He sighed and gripped the bouquet tighter. Now or never. He was going to ask Kai out.

He knocked on the other boy's front door, almost chickening out when he didn't receive a response after five long minutes. Finally, just as he was turning away, the door opened. He looked back, and saw an older, brunette girl. "You're not Kai." he said dumbly. The girl chuckled.

"No, I'm not. Come on in. I'll call her down for you." she said. Drew blinked again. Her?

Before he could dwell on it further, a girl who looked exactly like Kai came downstairs. "Drew? What're you doing here?" she asked, before yawning.

"U-um... I came to ask you out. Although, I guess I thought you were a guy, but now you're a girl, and I don't understand but at the same time that's great because now I don't have to worry that you turned me gay but I still like boys and... Crap, I'm really screwing this up. What I mean to say is, will you go out with me?" Drew babbled, blushing. He held out the flowers.

Kylie said nothing for several minutes, not moving to take the flowers either. Drew fidgeted nervously. What was he-no, she thinking?

"Drew..." she finally said, startling him. "Drew, the flowers are lovely, and you were very brave telling me that. However, I like Rain. Sorry." she said softly. Drew flinched slightly. Of course. It's always Rain, isn't it?

She was perfect. Oblivious, shy, kind, sweet, funny, caring, and just plain nice to everyone! She attracted everybody, without even realizing it. And now, he didn't even have a chance with the guy... girl... whatever that he loved. He hated it. He hated her. He hated her, but he still liked her. She was just too likable!

He felt tears welling up in his eyes, and he looked away. He dropped the flowers on the couch and stood up. "I understand..." he mumbled, his voice cracking slightly with unshed tears. He started walking towards the door, ignoring Kylie's pleas for him to wait.

It was raining now. Great. Just another thing to remind him of his broken heart. He let the tears fall, the water disguising his heartache.

He didn't know where he was going. He just wandered. He looked up when he heard traffic and realized he was on the highway bridge. How he had gotten here, he had no idea. He sighed and kept walking.

He wiped his eyes and was about to turn back when he heard a loud honking noise. He looked up and froze. An out of control car was speeding towards him. When he finally regained movement in his legs, it was too late. He only had time to scream before the car hit him, cutting the world into black.