Chapter 48: The Walls Crumble

Co-Author's Notes

Self-harm warning: This chapter contains implications of self-harm.

--------------------

3 days later [Yukina's POV]

Me and the rest of Roselia are currently sitting at a table at the CiRCLE cafe, discussing room for improvement in our performance when suddenly, a lady in a suit approaches us.

"Hello, are you Roselia?" She asks.

"Yes we are, what is it that you want?" I reply.

"I've come here to offer you an invitation to play at the Sweet Music Shower tomorrow. If you are able to make it." The lady asks as she holds out a piece of paper.

"Sweet Music Shower?" Lisa questions as I take the paper from the lady.

"We should be free at that time tomorrow, we will take you up on your offer." I answer.

"Thank you very much Minato-san, I look forward to your performance tomorrow." She speaks excitedly.

"We will show you the power of Roselia." I say with force in my voice. After the lady leaves I turn to Lisa to answer her previous question.

"Sweet Music Shower is a music competition where many compete and the best performers are very likely to perform at Future World Fes."

"Ah, That makes a lot of sense. Well, we're going to do our best as we always do. Right girls?" Lisa says with the usual cheer in her voice. I give a small smile to her optimism and Roselia's success.

--------------------

The next day

We're at the Sweet Music Shower event. We're currently waiting for our turn to perform as Ako is constantly squirming in anticipation, Rinko's as silent as ever, same for Sayo, and Lisa is looking at her phone.

"Okay Roselia, you're up." A staff member says.

"Thank you." I get up and walk past the staff member with everyone else in tow, we enter the vast stage with an immense audience all casting their gazes on us.

"We are Roselia, we hope you enjoy our performance. This song is, LOUDER." I take a deep breathe as I prepare to sing as the intro to the song is played... what's... this sound...? It's so... diluted... everyone is still playing as they normally do, so what's going on? As I'm singing, the audience seems to have also caught onto the discourse. Many people are getting up and leaving... what's happening!?

Things only continue to spiral out of control until... I can't... my voice... the song's unfinished... where... where did my voice go? Everyone else caught onto my lack of sound as we all stopped, I look out into the crowd in fear before I find the nerve to speak again.

"We're sorry for that terrible performance..." I say before walking off, leaving this terrible stage behind. There was nothing left for us there.

———————

5 Days later

Roselia was unsurprisingly unable to receive an invitation to Future World Fes from our poor performance. Ever since that day, a pain has slowly been rising in me that gets worse and worse as time goes on, my patience running thin.

"Ako!!! That's the same mistake as last time!" I exclaim as we stop mid practice. Sting.

"I-I'm sorry Yukina-san." Ako quietly apologizes.