Chapter 5

What did I do wrong? I was starting to believe Danielle was having as much of a good time as I was. I even thought that If I didn't chicken out and kissed her, that she was going to kiss me back. Crazy I know but there is something about her. Our trip to the beach was like a dream. I just know that Dan + Shay had written the song 19 you and me about this exact moment.

... It was our first week
At Myrtle Beach
Where it all began

The song began to run through my mind, as I replayed the day with Danielle.

... Watchin' that blonde hair swing
To every song I'd sing
You were California beautiful
I was playin' everything but cool
I can still hear that sound
Of every wave crashin' down
Like the tears we cried
That day we had to leave
It was everything we wanted it to be
The summer of
19 you and me

I enjoy all types of music but I have never been connected to a song like this before. I wonder what it would have been like to kiss her? I stared up at the ceiling fan and thought about Danielle as I drifted off to sleep.

The next morning I decided to help my mom unpack some of her things.

"Mom are you sure this is what you want to do?" I ask.

"Aiden, you know I can't go back there. I am not going to live with someone who doesn't love me anymore." My mom tries to explain and I can see the sadness in her eyes

"I love you mom, I would be happy if you came home but I understand. All I want is for you to be happy."

That moment my mom let out a breath she must not have realized she was holding in.

"Aiden, I can no longer keep up the perfect life persona. I am not as young and attractive as I used to be. I am beyond exhausted trying to be the woman your father demands me to be."

I couldn't come up with the right words to respond before my mom grabbed a box and walked into the kitchen without saying another word.

I know my parents haven't been happy for a long time. I hate to admit that my father was less than perfect and that he has cheated multiple times in their marriage. I am starting to accept the fact that my parents might be better off without each other.

I was able to tackle unpacking some things in the living room. I was heading towards the kitchen to help her in there and I glimpsed outside, I see that Danielle was outside. I am shocked to see her doing something outside that didn't involve reading. Danielle was on her knees and was working on what seems to be a garden.

Danielle turns around as if she knew someone was watching her and she waved at me with a huge smile. I couldn't help but return the same gesture, the smile and all. My mom coughed and my attention was back to all the boxes in the middle of the floor.

" Already met the neighbor girl I see." My mom says with a know it all grin.

"Yes mom, I ran into her when I went out for a walk the day we arrived." I replied with an annoyed tone. I know she is itching for more information but all she does is smile.

"That is nice son, she seems lovely." All I could do was smile and agree.