Chapter Five - A Purpose That's Powerful And Untreatable

I promised myself to stay as social as possible seeing as I'm technically hosting over eighty drunk musicians, roadies, groupies and general wannabes at my apartment tonight. What's bothering me is that this party I've had planned for weeks has turned into a celebration for the new boy - all singing, all dancing Brendon Urie.

So far I haven't lived up to my promise seeing as I'm sat on my balcony alone doing nothing but chain smoking for the last hour. The city's turned into a blur, a maze of lights filled with other people drinking and dancing all night. I've always wondered if I would have been happier just being a normal person. A lawyer or a teacher, maybe I would've settled down by now without the nightmares this life has brought me.

The sound of people laughing and blaring music rises as Pete slides the door open and stands by my side. 

"Were you planning on sitting out here all night? It's a good time in there man, you should join in." Pete urges. 

"I'm busy I'll be in soon." I lie as I lift my legs and cross them on the spare seat to stop him from joining me. 

"I know you regret hiring Brendon, and I'm on your side Ryan. I have to support these decisions as your friend but as your manager I know it's not the right thing for the band. You guys were going great without him."

"It wasn't just my decision Pete it was all of ours, we didn't pick Brendon because he was the best out of a bad bunch, we picked him because he was better than most professional musicians out there. If you weren't pushing us so hard to get the album released we wouldn't be in this situation!" I grumble.

Pete lets me to cool off for a couple seconds before replying. "Just remember, it's never too late to turn back." I jump to my feet and walk into my party leaving Pete on his own, he just doesn't want to pay another musician's wage but fuck him, I'll show him how well this can work.

I better get drunk if I'm planning of getting everyone to believe I like Brendon. The kitchen table is twice as full as when I last came to get a drink, strangers are surrounding it who I've never met before but every person in this room knows who I am. I grab a bottle of beer for Sophie and some vodka for me, I haven't seen her since the first people arrived and I promptly disappeared.  A girl instantly reaches out to me with a glass, I just blink and stare at her hand blankly before walking away with my bottles.

I search the room for Soph, I know she's used to speaking to celebrities she's never met before but never this many at once and I'm the only person she knows here. She's a sociable girl though and I'm sure she is capable of looking after herself. I spot the black and white striped crop top and a sexy ass in some skinny black jeans I helped her pick out for tonight. As I get closer I can hear her laughing louder than I ever have before. A path is made for me with ease because everyone in the room has an eye on me at all times, except Sophie. She's busy hysterically laughing at whatever Brendon has to say.

Spencer's propped against the wall with one arm hovering over Layla, I grab him to the corner and point towards Sophie and Brendon. 

"Have you seen this man? Does Brendon know about me and Sophie?" Spencer looks confused 

"Yeah man I told him when he turned up earlier, why?" he looks around just as Brendon pulls Sophie in for a hug stroking the back of her hair. 

"Look! I'm not being crazy am I?" I ask but I can see from Spencer's expression growing angrier that I'm not. 

"I thought he had a girlfriend? I'm sorting this out. Now."

He leaves his drink on the table and storms over towards them leaving me feeling useless, am I too weak to confront the new member of my band for putting his hands all over my girl?