Thirteen ~ Flirtations

For the second time since arriving in Camberley, Mia and her friends invited me along for drinks on the beach. The final member of the group—Brooke—would also be there, and from what I'd been told so far, I didn't know what to expect.

"You look nice, Rosalie," Mum said as I passed through the hallway.

Dinner with Mia had been a turning point for my relationship with Mum. Whether it was relief at me making friends or genuine approval of Mia, she'd been much chirpier. She'd even provided me with alcohol to take tonight. Of course, I'd received the lecture on drinking responsibly, but I took it as a step in the right direction.

"Thanks." I smiled. "I'll be quiet when I get back."

She nodded, before retreating to the living room. As I ambled down the garden path towards the steps, I wondered if Mum had also experienced the same boredom and loneliness, or if the constant socialising through her job caused her to value time alone. It might have been her decision to come here—albeit for work—but that didn't mean she wasn't suffering, too.

As usual, Austin greeted me with a double kiss, then nodded towards the bag in my right hand.

"Have you brought alcohol, Rosie?"

I handed it over. "Sure have. Knock yourself out."

"Oh, I intend to," he said, rummaging through the bottles. "And in the most literal sense of the phrase, too."

"I'm not looking after you if you get stupidly drunk," Mia said. "And I doubt the boys will give a damn."

"You say that now, Torts, but we both know you'll happily come nurse me if I get ill."

"'Happily' isn't the word I'd use," she shot back.

"Hey, Rosalie?"

A new voice interrupted their exchange, and I turned to see an unfamiliar girl with ebony hair styled in neat waves. Brooke, I assumed.

"Yeah," I said, offering her a smile.

I didn't shrink away as Brooke's eyes scanned my body, although I couldn't tell whether her assessment was through approval or judgement. Did she like my shorts, or did she think leather was tacky? Was she admiring my lacy bodysuit, or did she consider it too revealing?

"You look great," she said, and a small smile made its way onto her face. "The boys sure weren't kidding. I'm Brooke."

She held out her hand, and I shook it, wondering what the boys had been saying and whether she genuinely thought I looked great or was only pretending.

"It's lovely to meet you," I replied, playing just as nice.

"How're things, B?" Mia asked. She elbowed me and jerked her head towards the alcohol, suggesting I grab a drink.

"Good," Brooke said. "And you? Still managing to keep away from all the guys?"

Her tone bounced with casual softness, but considering she'd said it would be cheap to get with any of the guys, I imagined something more malign hid behind her words. I concentrated on pouring myself a vodka mixer, not wanting to interfere in a friendship that I barely knew anything about.

"Yes," Mia said. "I'm successfully resisting them all."

As I straightened up again, Brooke's eyes landed on me. They sparkled with mischief—or malice, for all I knew—but she still smiled at me in a friendly manner.

"What about you, Rosalie?"

I couldn't help pretending to misunderstand, just as an excuse to stick up for Mia.