Bonus Chapter ~ Off-guard: Sample

[This bonus chapter is exclusive to Ream -- the below is a sample only]

Although a lot had changed over the last year, one thing definitely hadn't: Brent keeping his cards remarkably close to his chest. So close, in fact, that he could have passed for a poker player rather than a lifeguard.

We'd flirted a little during our time apart, and he'd arranged this date, so that suggested we were on the same page at least, but I still couldn't read him. Maybe because I was the one who'd been so forward with our text conversations and he'd merely humoured me, or maybe because he'd invited me round to his house after our dinner with Mia and Austin but then hadn't even attempted to kiss me. Was this date a formality? Did he feel like he owed it to himself—or to me—to see if there was anything left between us?

And then the date itself: dress comfortably and casually because there'll be a lot of walking. That had been his instruction. Comfortable. Casual. Walking. Didn't sound particularly sexy to me. And, let's face it, we had bypassed the romantic stage of our fling last summer; sexy was all we knew.

It was for that reason that I plucked up the courage to slip on my sexiest lingerie underneath my 'casual' clothes. Even if this date didn't end with us in bed, I'd feel more confident knowing I was wearing it. And if it did, I'd at least be prepared.

After spending a few days with Mia, I'd returned to my Airbnb further down the coast first thing this morning. It was a small but perfectly proportioned house right on the beach, with a veranda that swept around the outside, offering a panoramic view of the sea and sand.

The holiday home last summer had been spectacular, but this one was mine. My money, my house, mine. It was a single storey and had everything I needed to live alone without feeling like I was drowning in space. But hopefully I wouldn't be totally alone for the whole summer...

Brent picked me up at nine thirty on the dot, just like he'd promised. Apart from a quick sweep of my body from head to toe—no doubt assessing if I'd followed his instructions or not—he gave no indication of wanting anything more from me than friendly company on a fun day out.

I, on the other hand, could have quite easily pulled him into my cute little house, taken off his wine-coloured polo shirt, and had an equally fun time discovering whether or not my mind had embellished the memories of his body.

"We're driving?" I asked as we reached a car that unlocked upon our approach.

"Yeah. It's about an hour away. That okay?"

"Of course."

As I slipped into the passenger seat and Brent shoved the key into the ignition, a wave of air conditioning filtered through the front vents. I reached to reposition the slats, and my eyes fell on a pair of sunglasses sitting in the cup holder.

"You've still got them." I smiled as I picked up the Ray-Bans, a flurry of memories stirring.

"Told you I'd look after them, didn't I?"

He shifted the car into drive, peered over his shoulder, then pulled out onto the road.

"They're a bit scratched." I tossed him a cheeky grin.

Although he kept his eyes ahead, his lips twitched. "Well-loved. Not scratched."

"Hm. Maybe I should buy you a new pair."

"Absolutely not."

"There's no need to feel emasculated. I'm a poor student now."

He snorted, his eyes drifting over me as he slowed to approach a junction. "I wouldn't feel emasculated. I just like that pair and I don't want to replace them."