Chapter Six - Institution of the Mind

Chapter Six - Institution of the Mind

"You're marrying my brother?!" I blasted, usually mental hospitals are for crazy patients not crazy nurses.
"Are you deaf, of course I am! He is very handsome man." How could I believe she was saying this.
"He brutally murdered our parents." I asked incredulously. 
"Every man has his downside..." She uttered sweetly, her hands firm on the wheel.
"Downside!? He's a fucking cannibal!" I yelled before the ambulance came to a screeching stop making all of us lurch forward. 
"Do you know the one thing I cannot tolerate?" I could hear her knuckles cracking as she flexed her long spiny fingers, her nails sharp as they glistened brightly, reflecting the moon's smoky shape. 
"...what?" I could hear myself gulp, the air becoming silent once again. 
"Swearing, if you are to curse again, I shall have you out of this ambulance and one would not like that, especially here, especially in this town." Amanda sat silently, staring at her as the sounds of creatures screaming could be heard charging towards us, the ambulance's motor humming. 
"Fine." My word slipped out quickly, with a whisper. 
"I think we've had enough chatting for now, perhaps a little music." A sigh of relief as she placed a disk in the ambulance's radio, some old song, but it sure was creepy. 

"How do you drive through all this fog?" Amanda asked, the air thicker then it was before. 
"God guides me..." I rolled my eyes, what a cliche. 
"Oh, so you're religious?" Amanda replied. 
"I wasn't once, but being stuck here for two years, you learn to survive." 
"Two years?" Nathan asked, his voice nothing but a whisper. 
"I don't want to talk about it!" She yelled, we all jumped in unison and Amanda began to cry softly; the ambulance becoming colder. 
"I'm sorry, I know you've lost your friend." Jackie said, her eyes wildly unsettled as she passed her rosary beads to Amanda. 
"Take them, they give you faith..." Amanda took them hesitantly as dim lights appeared through the fog, they became brighter as we drove closer. "...you're going to need them." What did she mean by that? 

"Is this it?" Amanda asked, the building was in major disrepair; lights flickered, the entrance crowded with disused wheelchairs and most of the walls were overgrown with vines. 
"This isn't what it looked like on the news..." Amanda whispered innocently to herself. 
"News? No news people have been here for years." I decided not to bother with her, as we stepped outside of the ambulance. 
"Listen, I want to be taken straight to my brother..."
"I'll take you, after dinner that is." She laughed sweetly before unlocking the building's side doors for us. The doors were rusted and the windows black with dust, the whole building smelt of death and torture, lights fizzled constantly and dark stains slipped between the tiles, up the walls and into drains.
"Jesus! What the fuck happened here!?" Nathan exclaimed as Mick fell to his knees and vomited across the floor, spluttering as he went. 
"That's god, I told you he doesn't like his children swearing." Jackie tutted, before skipping down the hallway; I gave Amanda a look of confusion, before helping Mick stand upright. 

We all gathered ourselves together in the dank hallway, but Jackie was nowhere to be seen.
"Where'd that bitch go." Mick growled, spit dripping from his mouth.
"You don't look good babe, you sure you don't want to sit down?" Nathan gave him a comforting grin, as Amanda inspected what looked like dry blood on the walls.
"There's something wrong here Dante, something isn't right." Before I could reply another song started up on the radio, I actually knew it this time...
"She's a fan of the fifties, I'll give you that." I lent down to observe a fallen mirror, the glass broken.
"Huh?" Amanda shrugged, dazed.
"This song... it's called Blue Moon." I replied. 
"Oh, how'd you know." The glass fragments covered the floor, reflecting the flickering ceiling lights behind my back. 
"My dad, he used to play it to..." The light flickered off for a split second longer than I expected and then my dad appeared in the reflective glass; blood dripping down his face, making me jump back in a fit of panic, scattering backwards out of fright.