Chapter 3

You weren't quite sure how long you'd slept for, but when you woke it was daylight. You were surprised to see Hosea, sitting on a chair, that had been put next to the bed.

"How are you feeling, my dear." He asked.

You blinked, you were about to sit up, when you felt his hand rest on your shoulder.

"Just take it easy, no reason for you to be rushing around."

You frowned, "really I feel fine, maybe a bit light headed," you admitted.

He hummed. "well your fever finally broke last night. You could probably do with eating something."

You gasped, "last night, how long have I been sleeping for."

Hosea put a hand on one of yours, "You've been out of it, for a couple of days. When you were awake, you were rambling, saying some strange things, I guess it was the fever," he added.

You bit your bottom lip. "What was I saying," you asked, some of the colour draining from your face.

Hosea smiled, "Nothing important, I don't suppose. Don't worry about it. Just stay there and I'll see if I can find you something to eat."

He stood up, and walked out the bedroom door.

You rubbed your eyes, trying to fathom how you had got so sick. Probably being out in the cold hadn't helped.

As you lay there, you heard a gentle tap on the door, then the door opened slowly.

Arthur stood there, the door half open.

"You're finally awake then?" he smirked.

You smiled, "thanks for saving me, Mr Morgan."

He walked in the room, letting the door close behind him, and sat on the chair, which had been vacated by Hosea.

"Please, call me Arthur. You had us all worried for a bit there." he admitted.

You sat up, leaning against the back of the bed.

You hummed, "I guess I got a bit colder than I thought." You hesitated, furrowing your brow, "I still do the same again though," you added.

Arthur rolled his eyes, "I didn't think you were that stupid!" he scoffed.

"I ain't!" you exclaimed. "It's just I had to get this," you pulled the silver locket out, from under your clothes, "and I had to say goodbye to my daddy."

You looked down at the locket, not wanting to make eye contact with Arthur, or anyone for that matter. Even talking about your daddy, still hurt right now.

"What is it?" he asked.

You looked up. "Its a locket, my mama and daddy gave it to me for my sixteenth birthday. My mama died shortly after, then my daddy..." you didn't finish the sentence. You didn't even want to think about the day, your daddy married that woman.

You put the locket, back inside you clothes. "Anyhow, its the only thing I have now." you added.

Arthur nodded, "well, good news is we'll be getting off this mountain pretty soon."

You looked up, startled. "Where are you going?"

Arthur shrugged, "Not sure yet, think Hosea has a few ideas." He smiled, "Don't worry, Dutch meant what he said, you can stay with us for as long as you need to."

You frowned, "I guess that goes for Sadie too?"

Arthur nodded, then chuckled. "What is it with you two, anyway?"