The Beach

"Cato, why won't you take no for an answer?" I exclaimed, frustrated. "I'm wearing a bathing suit, okay? But that's because it's seven hundred and forty degrees out before the humidity, no joke. I'm not going in the water!" He backed up and threw his hands in the air.

"Sorry, I don't know where that came from," I muttered, embarrassed. He shook his head and I could see him biting his lip to hold back his laughter. "What?"

"Nothing," he denied, but I glared at him for so long he relented. "I like when you're mad. It's hilarious, the way you almost bounce, because you're so short, you know?" he chuckled.

I smacked the back of his head and curled back into a slouch against the stone wall separating the beach and the road. He laughed at me again. I pushed my hands on his shoulders and shoved him as hard as I could, and he fell on his pathetic little ass. "I know, so funny," I scowled coldly.

He mocked me, but his grimace curled into a grin. "Everything is funny to you, isn't it?" I scoffed.

"You're funny, Clove," he replied, rolling his eyes at my annoyed reaction. "Everything I say bothers you, doesn't it?" he asked, imitating my tone.

"Well, I don't like people who don't like me, so, yeah, sort of," I snarled.

He muttered something under his breath that sounds like she has no idea and then he was kissing me. He pulls away, but before I could decide to smack him, ask him thirty-eight million questions or kiss him, he decided for me, and his lips were on mine again, and I liked it. We were ocean air and salty water and sun-kissed skin. His hand cupped my cheek, but moved down to my waist as my hand move to his neck and slowly into his hair. I could feel his smile against my own and we had to break off because we started to laugh. Then all our friends were staring like creeps, but we just grinned and he tossed me over his shoulder, taking four large steps into the ocean before tossing me in.