Book 2 - What Lies Beyond - Part 2

"Hey, do you.. like summer?"

The question was simple, but to me, it was complicated. I didn't like the heat during summer. It was so hot that I could collapse. It was hot even inside the house. Complaining wouldn't help, so I decided to grab something cold at the convenience store. That's where I met him, exactly three years ago.

Even before summer, the heat was something that I really couldn't stand. I would get all sweaty, and I easily lose energy. When summer began, all I could do was laze around in the house. Since it was so hot, I turned on the A.C. and then sat on the sofa. I grabbed my iced tea and took a sip. Looking outside, it looked like hell to me. The heat was visible, as if I was in some desert. The living room was cold and cozy, and I browsed the T.V. for interesting channels.

Three hours has passed, and it was already noon. That's when it happened. I fell asleep because of the cold feeling, but when I woke up, it was hot as a sauna bath. I turned the A.C. at max, but it didn't help. It was broken, or so it seems. The shock lasted for a few seconds, with the thought 'How could I possibly survive this hot climate!' The fan was working, but it only cooled me down a bit, as it turns out that this afternoon was freaking hot. I went to check the fridge, and alas, it was empty. With no ingredients whatsoever, the only remains were two tomatoes and a one cucumber. At the corner, sat a single pasta noodles, but with these ingredients, I couldn't make anything at all. Looking at the freezer, there was only the ice cream that I saved to eat later for dessert. Other than that, completely empty.

With a growling stomach, I have two choices; one is to go out and buy ingredients, and two was to go out and eat somewhere. Either way, both options required me to go out, so I'd rather eat some place rather than a two way trip on the hot paved road. I grabbed my money, umbrella and my keys and journeyed outside.

"Hot! What's with this weather? I know it's summer and all but this is too hot for me."

As I commented at the blazing heat, I opened my umbrella and went to the nearest family restaurant. It was a walking distance, but in this heat, each step feels like a battle in hell. The umbrella was something to block the heat, but the paved road emitted hot gas and the umbrella was rendered half useless. Even in my lightly dressed appearance, the heat was killing me.

****

At last, I reached the restaurant, and the cool sensation as the door opened gushed into my soul. With a sigh of relief I went to order my meal. After eating, I went to head home. But daylight reminded me of the desert-like road. So instead, I went to the nearest convenience store and brought some ice cream to cool me off. That was my first encounter with him, my classmate Hikari.

*****

"My name is Kirika. Let's get along."

That was my introduction during my transfer at Heavenly Sky High School. It was short, but everyone applauded me with smiles and greetings. It was my second time transferring, because my parents often travel to places. I was 15 at that time. It's not like I hate being transferred. I have no choice after all. But seeing that I was left out during lunch, it kinda felt lonely. I was only paired with someone or joined a group because it was necessary, but I made no effort to make friends. It was something I wasn't good at.

But then I met him, at that hot summer day, with a manga-like encounter, bumping into him at the corner.

****

 I saw him often at school as he was my classmate, but I didn't talk to him at all. He was always alone, and was rather quiet even in activities. 'What a strange boy,' was my first impression of him. And because I transferred half way, I really didn't get any time to know my classmates well. But he seemed like he doesn't even know half of the class.