Chapter Six

A/N: Hello everyone ^ ^ This isn't really a long chapter, I know. But, this part is about to lead into the story. It's kind of a filler, I'm sorry. Hey, you've got to have a bit of rebellion before the heroin and the hero fall for each other, right?

Nicolai watched the female before him struggle from his arms and proclaim her hatred for the plane. His lips twitched slightly. This would be interesting, seeing as how as alpha of one of the largest packs in America, he was expected to travel a lot. There was also no way he was just simply going to leave his new found mate behind, either.

His emerald eyes looked her over, then flashed to his beta. Go set up her room. Let the doctor know she is needed right now. The male bowed his head briefly, then hurried into the house. Nick winced, maybe he shouldn't put so much force into his orders. They would obey him without it.

He was just so worried about his little mate.

He moved closer and placed his hand on her back. Immediately, she moved away and turned to look at the estate before her. Her jaw dropped, the pale orbs taking in the rolling greenery, the lush forests, the three story building made to house many of the families. There were several other buildings around, for more of the families that didn't stay in the main house.

She took a step back, which planted her squarely in Nick's arms. He smiled, relishing the brief contact before she jumped away. Why was she so... Cautious around him? He sighed and ran a hand through his hair, closing his eyes and walking towards the building. The female wolf followed. He still didn't know her name, he realized, and stopped, looking back at her.

It was then he noticed the sickly pallor of her skin. She seemed to barely be standing, fighting exhaustion. "Shit!" he growled as he moved to her to lift her, right before she fell. The shock of a new place, plus the continued lack of food and the overuse of energy to heal herself was going to leave her depleted. He should have remembered that!

--

Salem woke up to a sharp pain in her arm, her eyes shooting open as she sat up. The world spun momentarily, and she placed a hand on her head. Something in her skin pulled, and she looked at her arm to see a small needle sticking out, attached to a plastic tube. Eyes wide, she followed it to a bag hanging from an i.v. stand.

She went to pull it from her skin when a sharp voice lashed across her. "Touch it, and I'll put you down for hours, wolf." Salem looked up to see a fairly well aged woman, her burgundy hair shot through with silver, her blue eyes lit with anger. "That is the only thing keeping you awake right now. I'm surprised you're even still alive!"

Salem chuckled. It would take more than that to kill an alpha as strong as she was.

The woman moved closer and lifted one of Salem's arms, tsking at it. "Way too thin. Do you ever eat? How have you been able to go while being so malnutritioned? How have you been able to shift?" She dropped the girl's arm and soon started listening to her heart. Whatever she heard there satisfied her, because it made her smile slightly, then move back and scribble on a pad of paper.

"How long am I to be here, then?" Salem asked after a while.

"Until I say you can go."

Salem stared her down, her eyes shining with anger. The doctor simply waved her hand and laughed. "I've got you here so that you can heal, darling. You've been without so much for so long. I've got to get you well enough that you can stand on your own two feet for a few hours."

"I can!"

"You passed out three days ago after only being awake for half an hour."

"Th-Three days...ago....?" Salem looked away, then closed her eyes. "Impossible."

The doctor smiled and leaned close. "Now the real question is... How come you haven't once asked for your mate?"

Salem moved away slightly. "I have no mate..."

"Your body says differently, child. Apparently, so does your mate. He's been in here constantly, worried sick over your well being. Nearly bit my head off right before you woke up."

Salem looked away and closed her eyes. "He can't be my mate... I've no feelings of the sort towards him..."

The doctor laughed. "That's because you're too weak. Also could be your alpha blood..."

Horror lashed across her features and Salem moved from the bed quickly. The doctor laughed a bit. "I've not told him. Nor will I, child. Calm yourself and lay back down. I can't have all my hard work up to this point be ruined because of your misconceptions and distrust, now can I?"

Salem slowly sat back down, shaking. "Why haven't you said anything. Why protect me...?"

"Mainly for the scientific fact. A female alpha? In this day and age? We've only had one born female alpha, and that was our original Luna. With the fur the color of the moon, and eyes of the clearest daylit sky... You intrigue me. Also, I've a feeling not many have shown you kindness. Allow me to be the first to do so. Your secret shall remain your own, until you choose to let it go."

Salem smiled. "Which will not happen."

"What won't happen?"

Salem looked up to see the male from before sticking his head in, then smiling as he saw her awake. Ah, he had such a gorgeous smile. White teeth, golden skin... that sexy dimple... Her eyes widened as she caught scent of the male and her heart began to thump heavily. Her wolf lifted her head.

Finally. You see him as I do...

Salem swallowed harshly, then looked away. It wasn't as strong as she thought it would be. Merely an intense attraction at this point. She looked at the doctor, who gave her a wicked smile. "Just wait until you're fully healed..." she leaned closer to whisper to the girl. "Just wait until you feel accepted..."