Chapter Twenty-Three

Author's Note: sorry I haven't updated in a while. I just moved into my dorm and started college and let me tell you... I've already had like four mental breakdowns. I'm so sorry if updates come slower now that I'm back in school but I'll try my best. This chapter's song is "Secret Love" by Hunter Hayes. I'll link it above. 

"Two households, both alike in dignity, in fair Rhodes where we lay our scene." Adeline said to Mary-Beth, mocking the ongoing feud between the two wealthiest families in town. A few days after everybody had gotten settled in, Dutch gave the entire camp a rundown of the near area they were staying in. The highlighted piece of drama was the feud between the Grays and the Braithwaites. Adeline and Mary-Beth were sharing some laughs comparing it to Romeo and Juliet. 

"From ancient grudge break to new mutiny, Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean." Mary-Beth continued with the prologue of "Romeo and Juliet". Both girls laughed and drew the attention of others in the camp. 

"Miss Gaskill, Miss Blackwell," Dutch addressed them. "What seems to be so funny?" 

"It's just ironic is all," Adeline began. "These two families, feuding to the point of bloodshed- It's just like 'Romeo and Juliet.' All we need are some star-crossed lovers." Adeline informed Dutch. 

"Well when I was in Rhodes the other day, I heard rumors of a Braithwaite girl seen with a Gray boy." Dutch said with a wink. 

Adeline and Mary-Beth shared a glance. "I knew it!" Mary-Beth exclaimed. 

Dutch laughed to himself and walked away. Adeline turned back to Mary-Beth to say something but before she could, she was cut off by a shout. "Miss Gaskill, I don't believe your chores for today have been finished." Miss Grimshaw shouted from across the camp. 

Mary-Beth looked to Adeline sadly, "Looks like I gotta go. We can talk more later." 

Adeline nodded and let the girl go to do her chores. She had woken up early to get hers done. In fact, it was so early that most of the camp was still asleep. Adeline got up from her seat at one of the tables and walked over to her tent. She needed to see Hosea about borrowing more of his books because she had read the last few he lent her. 

She was drawn from her thoughts about her books when she heard Dutch shout, "Arthur, my boy, I'm glad you're up." Adeline heard a slight grumble from Arthur in return. "I've got a special job for you today!" 

Adeline looked down at her open book so she could eavesdrop without them knowing. She slightly leaned towards the opening of her tent. At the new camp, there was so much more room so she got her own little tent. She no longer had to share which was nice but she also missed gossiping late at night with the other girls. 

"I need you to snoop around the Gray's property today and see what you can find out. I have heard they have been feuding about some secret treasure and if we can find that- well could you just imagine!" Dutch explained. 

"I guess that's not too bad. I thought you were gonna have me rob some place," Arthur chuckled. 

"Not just yet, Arthur. Not just yet." Dutch clapped his hand on Arthur's back. "Just find out some information for now." 

"Sure thing, boss," Arthur said. Adeline heard Dutch shuffle back to his tent and now was her time. She wanted to do some snooping as well. She left her tent and ran to catch up with Arthur who was already heading to his horse. 

"Arthur," She called out to him. He turned around at the noise. 

"Adeline, what are you doin' up so early?" He asked.