Chapter Nineteen

Author's Note: This chapter's song is "She Wouldn't be Gone" by Blake Shelton. I'll link it above, as usual. <3

"Arthur, let her go," Dutch commanded.

"I knew we shouldn't have done this. After all she's done for us, this is how we repay her?" Arthur huffed. He turned to Micah, "And you! Mind your own damn business next time." He said, grabbing Micah by the collar.

"Cut it out, Arthur." Dutch said, authority evident in his voice.

"He's using you like a puppet and you don't even know, Dutch." Arthur said. He left the two of them to their own business and went over to his horse.

"Where are you going?" Dutch called out as Arthur mounted his horse.

"I'm going to the bar, and then I'm going to get Adeline back. She's one of us and we're a family." Arthur shouted as he left camp.

~~~

Arthur arrived at Valentine's saloon and he immediately went over to the bar. He sat at a stool and asked for some whiskey. After paying, the bartender brought it to him. He quickly downed one shot and ordered some more. He kept drinking until he felt a nice buzz and some weight lifted off his shoulders. Somebody took the seat next to him but Arthur ignored it. That is, until the stranger decided to talk to him.

"Looks like you're drinking from heartbreak, friend." The stranger said.

Arthur wasn't in the mood to argue so he just agreed, "I guess you could say that."

"What'd she do to ya, man? You seem awfully down." The stranger added.

"It's not what she did. It's what I did. I was a fool." Arthur explained, hoping the stranger would finally leave him alone.

"What'd you do? If you don't mind my asking." The stranger said, throwing Arthur's plans of being left alone out the window.

Arthur sighed. "I used her and I played her. I never meant for her to find out but a friend of mine blabbed." He said, putting an emphasis on friend because he in now way say Micah as friend. "We aren't even a couple. I'm not one for relationships but she was a good friend of mine and I hurt her. And don't get me wrong, I ain't got no problem hurting people who deserve it. But she doesn't deserve it."

"I see." The stranger began. "The only thing you can do is apologize and hope she sees you mean it. Maybe take that extra step to make her yours if you like her that much."

Arthur grumbled, not wanting this man giving him relationship advice when he didn't want or need it. "Say, fella, what's your name?"

"Joseph," The man answered. "And you're Arthur, I presume?" Arthur locked eyes with the stranger and his demeanor changed into one of defense. "You're a wanted man. I know you from Blackwater. But don't worry, I won't say a thing."

Arthur stood up to leave but the man put a hand on his shoulder. "Sit down, son. I know there's more you wanna say."

Arthur sat down slowly, watching the man very closely. He looked familiar but Arthur couldn't remember where he'd seen him.

"Now tell me about this girl," Joseph said.

Arthur sighed, seeing as there was no way out of this without making a scene. "I met her as she was getting robbed on the street. I helped her out and then a few days later, she helped me 'n my friends escape the law. My boss found out she was sitting on a fortune and he told me to become friends with her so we could get her money. I knew it wasn't the right thing to do but I can't disobey orders."