Chapter 8

Harmony breathed out the cold, winter air, a puff of white smoke hovering in front of her face. Under the late evening sky, she walked down the empty sidewalk, passing by the neighbourhood houses, unsure of where she was headed exactly.

The talk with her parents hadn't gone as smooth as she anticipated. It ended with the both of them arguing over various topics; her curse, Master Spark, and the Leo Clan itself. It was only natural for her mother to defend her brother, and, likewise, it was only natural for her father to accuse him of making rash decisions, despite being the leader of their clan.

In the end, they told Harmony to come back when they were in a better mood, so, in need of fresh air, the girl came out for a walk, away from the turmoil at home. The wind chilled her, so she pulled up her gray scarf, her cheeks as dry as sandpaper. Unconsciously, her feet took her to the park not too far off, a few snowflakes falling as she crossed the empty road to it.

The once grassy fields were slowly turning white, the evergreens bathed in a porcelain glow. She paid the ghostly playground no heed, her eyes fixated on the single bench located under a fluorescent street lamp. But, as she neared the wooden seating, she found that another person was already slouched on it. And, judging by his brilliant red hair, she knew without a doubt who he was. 

"Carter?!" She exclaimed, his head jerking up with surprise. Harmony gasped when she saw the bruise by his bleeding lip, quickly sitting down beside him. "Oh my God, not again!" Gingerly touching the wound with concern, she grimaced as he flinched in pain. She didn't need an explanation of what had happened. If it was Carter's father, there was never a valid explanation. 

The boy lived in the same neighbourhood as Ultima and her, which is why Harmony was aware of what he had to go through at home. After all, this wasn't the first time he had escaped to this park with a bruise or two. He was shivering, his freckled nose pink, his shaky hands covering the ripped parts of his jeans. Even so, he tried to crack a smile.

"Don't." However, Harmony wasn't having it. "You'll hurt your lip even more." She rummaged through her coat pockets, clicking her tongue. "Damn it, I wish I had a bandaid with me..."

"D-don't worry about it." The boy spoke through chattering teeth. "It wasn't that bad today. My sister didn't get involved, so I'm grateful."
Ah, his poor younger sister. She was no more than eight, yet she had to deal with such horrors at home. Harmony could understand why her brother wanted to protect her so badly....at the cost of his own well being.

She rolled her eyes. "Don't tell me he flipped because you asked him about going tomorrow?" He nodded slightly, and she huffed in annoyance. "You're still coming though, right?"

He sighed, hugging himself. His long arms looked thin even under the sleeves of the heavy hood he had on. "No doubt about it. I...I want to break free from the cage he's locked me in." Harmony felt her jaw clench as tears welled up in his light eyes. "I need to..." He choked on his own words, his trembling increasing. But, he still said what he had to say. "I need to get stronger somehow."

For a boy that grew up scared of practically everything, Carter was strong. He never complained to anyone. He always smiled in front of his sister. He always tried to protect her. But, sometimes, when he had had enough, he would be found on this lonely bench in the park, his only source of escape at the moment.

As she watched him aggressively wipe his tears, a wave of sorrow washed over Harmony. A wave that was so strong that she could only think of doing one thing. Because she knew that more than anything, at this moment, all he needed was a heartfelt hug. So, without another word, she pulled his head close, wrapping her arms around his cold, cold neck.

Unable to control himself any longer, the boy cried into her shoulder, and she rubbed his back affectionately, her own eyes stinging. "I'm sorry..." He had the audacity to apologize right now? Harmony shook her head with a smile.

"You did nothing wrong." She whispered, rocking back and forth as his bony back heaved with every breath. She lifted her gaze at the sky above, the soft clouds encircling them from all corners, their gentle snowflakes a comfort for the ones beneath. It made her happy, the sky. It was limitless, full of possibilities. It made her feel like she wasn't wrong to dream.

"We're going to get stronger, Carter. You'll see." She declared, her voice unwavering. "We'll prove them all wrong during this mission."