Christmas

There is such a child-like excitement Christmas morning. Even if it lasts only a moment, the joy and wonder does a dash over my soul, giving me a little extra cheer.

The alarm clock may have said eight A.M., but my heart said it was Christmastime no matter what. "Ray!" I shook my boyfriend a little roughly, clouded by those pesky sugarplum visions. "Ray! Ray! Get the fuck up, its Christmas!"

Ray lifted his head a little and looked through squinted eyes at me. "What?"

"It's Christmas."

"Mmmm." He closed his eyes and searched for my hand. "And I guess you want me to get up, huh?" 

"Yes please."

"I don't know..." He teased. "I'm kind of tired."

"Please Ray?" I whined, laying my body over him dramatically.

"What am I gonna get out of it?"

"Presents, stupid."

He opened his eyes and smirked at me. "What kind of presents?"

"You have to get up to find out." I snickered, sliding off the bed. I took the blanket with me as I walked into the living area.

"Hey!" Ray yelled after me, sitting up from the sudden cold. I heard heavy footsteps behind me, but I felt strong arms around my shoulders, pulling me back into another body. "Mmm, you're so warm."

Because we were both broke as hell, Ray's apartment was almost never sufficiently heated. Our major source of heat now that it had become cold was layering and sticking close to one another. Due to our mentioned brokeness, we both knew that there wouldn't actually be many presents, just the things we got eachother. Any way, I did not feel I could go back to sleep.

"Yeah, I probably am," I answered. "Seeing as I'm under this huge blanket."

"Do you think," Ray said. "Maybe, possibly, I could be under that blanket too?"

"Of course!" I said, faking shock. "All you had to do was ask!" I opened the blanket, inviting him in, but Ray picked me up, sitting down on the couch, with me in his lap. He then laid down, me on top of him, and shifted the blanket so it was over the both of us.

"Merry Christmas baby." He whispered, kissing the top of my head.  Contrary to what I had thought, sleep was calling me back.

"Merry Christmas.." I yawned, closing my eyes.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It was ten when we woke up again. Ray was tracing his fingers up my back, and humming a song I had never heard before. He stopped, noticing I was awake, but smiled and began stroking my hair. "It's cold as all hell." He groaned.

"But the thing is," I corrected him, attempting to warm my face with his arm. "Hell is full of fire."

"Oh true." We were quiet for a moment.

"Well, do you want to open your present?" I said, voice muffled by Ray's bicep.

"Yeah, sure." He yawned.

"Cool!" I sat up. "I'll go get it then."

Damn my feet were cold. As much as sleeping in socks would fix the problem, I wasn't a psychopath. Instead, I just grabbed a couple pairs of socks from Ray's drawer.

I found my backpack and drug it into the living room, sitting down right next to Ray, who was tuning his guitar. He pulled me in to his side, setting the guitar on a side table and kissing my cheek. "Are you ready to see it?" I grinned, giggling at the kiss.