Chapter 2: The TBD Club

The next morning, the aravel was more cramped than its occupants were used to, with one extra person to take up the bed the children shared. Fai was one of the first to wake after Kala, (who had gone hunting), still not used to the cramped conditions. In Clan Deylhen, she'd shared an aravel with her parents, and had a bed to herself. But the aravel with her new Lavellan caretakers was far more full. Kala had her own small bed, Davayan was in his crib, and the three girls shared a decent sized bed in back.

Nahari was the last to wake, lying in bed as usual, seeming far better than she did yesterday. She sipped the tea in her hands while her sister watched her, smiling affectionately at her.

"Mamae says that if you're feeling better today, you can go outside and help gather the fallen leaves with us! We're going to need lots of them for the Dhea'dinvunin celebration!" Lona grinned excitedly.

"Really?" Nahari smiled. "That sounds like fun! I think I can go outside today..."

"It's already close to Dhea'dinvunin?" Fai asked, as she stepped inside. "How does Clan Lavellan celebrate it?"

"Oh, we do all sorts of stuff for Dhea'dinvunin!" Lona said. "We create decorations with the fallen leaves, leave offerings, give thanks to Falon'din-"

"There is a lot we do." Nahari smiled, quickly interrupting her sister before she got carried away. "We, um, usually celebrate longer than the other clans do."

"Oh? Sounds like fun." she grinned. "You were wanting to go outside, right? We should get going before we get dragged into doing any real chores."

The twins eagerly nodded their heads in agreement. Lona carefully helped Nahari out of bed before grabbing a shawl that was draped over a chair nearby. Lona slipped it onto her sister, making sure she was nice and warm - and more importantly, able to stand.

"Are you sure you can handle being outside today? You look a little pale." Lona said, seeming a bit concerned as she studied her twin.

"I-I'm okay." Nahari smiled reassuringly. "I think I feel better than I had all year, even."

"If you start to feel unwell, just tell us. We don't want you getting worse out there." Fai said gently.

"I-I will, I promise." Nahari smiled.

"Good. Let's go, then!" Lona grinned, grabbing Nahari's hand as they headed out the door. Fainauriel gladly followed, practically skipping out of the aravel to join them.

The three children quickly went to join the others to prepare for the festivities, the small group planning to head out into the woods to gather the leaves. The other children smiled when they saw Fai and Lona approach, but then most frowned when they noticed Nahari behind them.

"Oh no! You're not bringing her with us, are you?" one child groaned.

"She's going to slow us down!" another whined.

"No she isn't!" Lona argued as Nahari hid behind her, tears brimming her eyes.

"Yes she is! She's going to get us all sick, too!" another girl argued.

"My Mamae said I can't play with her or else I'm going to get sick and die!" one child said.

"And if any of us do get sick and die, the Keeper's gonna throw her to the wolves!" another sneered.

"No she isn't! Stop lying!" Lona yelled, wrapping her arms around her sister protectively.

"Hey!" Fai snapped, stepping forward between the two groups fearlessly. "Leave them alone! Lona and I are around her all day- we're not sick! And the Keeper would never do that!"