Part 1

"And then I said-" A sweet voice rung through the hallway. "Okay, I forgot what I said. But long story short, the girl just left me! Left me! Unbelievable!"

The blonde paused before continuing. "Hey! Are you even listening to me?" He nudged the shoulder of the taller teen. "...Tanjirou? Are you okay? You seem kinda... off."

"Hm?" He absentmindedly answers. "O-oh it's nothing. I'm fine," Tanjirou laughed, waving his hand around like a fan. "It-It's kinda... cold today, huh? Sorry, what were you talking about again?" He continued, but Zenitsu wasn't convinced.

He observed Tanjirou's body up and down, listening hard to his heartbeat. Zenitsu frowned. "You need to get some sleep. I mean, look at you! You're heartbeat is erratic and you're red all over."

"I'm fine, seriously... Please, just, don't sweat about it," He said, but Tanjirou's vision was blurring. He didn't want to admit that he felt terrible.

"Really?"

"Mhm," Tanjirou said, his voice getting lower. He was limping and he could feel the exhaustion eating him out.

How long was the corridor anyway? It felt like they were walking forever. But he couldn't rest now, he was going to have a sparring match with Giyuu after this- and Giyuu was always busy!

"Tanjirou?"

The more he walked, the heavier his body got. His feet couldn't keep up with his own weight. He could hear Zenitsu saying something, but couldn't make it out. Suddenly, his body slammed on the floor. The sudden impact made him wail out in pain. He couldn't see anything now.

It was all black.

________________________________

Tanjirou woke up on a futon with a terrible headache. He couldn't even move his body, all he could do is groan. What was he doing before? Oh right, he was chatting with Zenitsu after a mission. He stared at the ceiling for a couple of seconds before a groan caught his attention. Tanjirou turned his head to see Zenitsu resting his head on the bed.

"...Zenitsu?" He whispered softly, caressing the bright yellow strands of hair.

His touch made the smaller boy flinch and jump out of his seat, almost falling. Thankfully, he gripped the sheets to avoid smacking hard to the ground.

"AH! Tanjirou!! You're awake!" Before the taller boy could react, Zenitsu pulled him to an embrace. Tanjirou smiled and returned the hug. "I... when you fell down I- I thought you were-" He couldn't finish his sentence before breaking down into tears. He tried to wipe away his tears but to no avail, they just kept on falling. Between the sobs and hiccups, Tanjirou could only make out a few words, died... afraid... crying... Reluctantly, Zenitsu let go of Tanjirou to reveal his red and teary face.

"Oh, Zenitsu..." Tanjirou stroked Zenitsu's cheek slowly, wiping the tears away. "I'm not going to leave you. Promise."

The blonde boy looked up, "I hope not..." He sniffled before he could continue, and pushed himself away from the raven-haired boy. "Aoi said you need lots and lots of rest. The tsuguko are busy setting up some sort of practice, and Inosuke's out on a mission." Zenitsu flashed a soft, sorrowful smile. "So you're kinda stuck with me now."

Tanjirou chuckled, "If I'm stuck with someone for the rest of the week, I'm glad it's you. After all, I like you!"

His words seemed to struck a chord with Zenitsu. The blonde boy's face got redder by the second. He seemed to want to say something- anything really! But he couldn't with all the stammering. Tanjirou tilted his head innocently, not knowing what he just implied.

"Zenitsu?"

"Um!" Red-faced and sweating, the blonde interrupted, "I-I'm uh, I'm gonna get you something to eat... like miso soup-"

"Oh, alrig-"

"Or something else if you want..."

"No, miso soup is fi-"

"Bye!"

Before Tanjirou could wave Zenitsu off, he ran away as fast as he could, leaving traces of lightning burns on the wooden floor. On the distance, he could hear Zenitsu screaming "Go get some reeeeeeeest...."

________________________________
author's note :
thankuu for reading this whoever u are!!
side note : nezuko is currently in hiding from muzan so she isn't present here and i totally didnt forget she existed or anything :))

edit: im editing this rn so if u see a lot of things getting changed then its not u its me lajskshsjka