Step Three

May

I woke from a blissful sleep the next morning to the sound of my 9:30 alarm. My Tuesday schedule required me to be at my first class by 11:30. My professor hardly knew my name but mentioned that he was thoroughly impressed with my presentation on the International Law course outcomes. That was the class I excelled in and I enjoyed it more than anyone in there.

For the past few days I have been undeniably happy. My date with Josh seemed to fly by in a matter of minutes, the best minutes of my life. Shivers of happiness and pure joy flooded through my body as I reluctantly left my warm duvet. As soon as my half naked body hit the surrounding air, I couldn't reach my robe fast enough, it was so cold. A week before, Josh had fixed my air conditioner so now I didn't nearly melt in my sleep, but rather freeze when I woke.

My first instinct was to have coffee and watch the morning news that I could catch, considering it was so late, but instead I turned on the water and ran a steamy shower that filled my closet sized apartment with a sticky, warm air.

Fifteen minutes before I had to leave, I decided to get a few things done, and one of them included screwing on the door number that had fallen off a few days ago. I gathered my screw driver, screw , and a level and I exited my apartment. I didn't even look at the ground when I stood a mere few inches from the inside of my cozy apartment. I only looked down when I heard a crinkling sound, much like thin plastic. A quick glance confirmed my suspicions, I was standing on top of the edge of a bouquet of red and white roses. They were laying peacefully against the floor. There were no imperfections and nothing less than satisfaction. They were perfect and I immediately knew who they were from.

My smile was wide as I propped the bouquet against the wooden door frame as I read the little blue card attached. The roses were slipped expertly into one another, mixing the dozens together, forming a beautiful bundle. The card read, Dear May, I had a wonderful time with you last night and I can't wait to see you again. I 'll be arriving at yours at 4:30, no working! I'll see you then -Josh. It was a very bold thing for him to do and I was so undoubtedly delighted. I squealed and excitedly jumped about the door before going back inside. Catching a glimpse of the clock, I quickly ran out the door seeing it was 10:55.

Keeping focus in class was getting increasingly harder as Josh and I became closer. Yesterdays class consisted of doodle-filled margins and highlighter used to make hearts across my assignment. I was in deep shit if this didn't let up before next week. Final exams. You're going to fail and I'm going to laugh. No one believes in you. My mind drifted to my performance on exams in previous years. I never tested well, I was usually in the 70's or 80's and I was never content with that. I studied as hard as I could and it hardly made a difference. I just hope that this year, my dedication pays off.

In high school I took advanced Math and Sciences but I was never interested in them, I always did well, passing with above average grades but it was never my kind of thing. Frankly I found it insulting and degrading to have information that we didn't give a fuck about, being shoved down our throats. But I dealt with it. I thought of it to be such a negative thing for the brain and my mother agreed but never acted on it. I was constantly stressed and no one knew how bad it was because I played it off, like it was "just another day" when it was getting so hard keeping my head above water, I began to let it in little by little before I was completely and utterly drowning

. I only really had time for my friends, and even when I didn't, I made it work somehow by sacrificing a lot. Catherine, Rachel, and Mackenzie. They were my rocks and it hurt so much to leave them after graduation and nothing has changed, I'm just half way across the country, but I needed to follow my academic dream. I'm still unsure where it'll take me, but I'm sure that this feels right.