May 0.4

May

"Josh can you help me?" I was struggling to pick up the plastic cooler. Although almost completely empty, I was lacking in the strength department. He walked through the narrow doorway with a smug grin on his face. I knew what he was thinking. "Don't even."

He picked up the container with ease and grace. I felt the need to roll my eyes, but I did not do it because there was no need to, no matter how much more physical strength or endurance he may have than me.

I ran my hand along the rusty hinges before I locked the cottage up once more. This time I knew I'd be back so there was no sadness. Now the wooden structure stood before me with more happy memories than it had before, if that was even possible. I knew that I would re-visit it many times before I could no longer do so. I slowly walked back to the truck where Josh was already fooling with the radio. I smoothed the edges of my dress out, the crisp cut hitting my knees, to a comfortable length. I had a permanent smile on my face as Josh and I laughed, sang and got to know each other better during the drive home.

Josh drove me straight to the University so I could study before final exams start on Wednesday. Despite my protests and complaining about needing my stuff, I got out at the front of the library. My last actual class had been the previous week and I had been going in to speak with my professors and to get some studying done. I was confident in my ability to do exceptionally on my exams but it's normal to be nervous, which I was.

Before I left the car Josh slipped me an envelope that appeared to be empty. "What's this?" My curiosity was derived from the fact that it appeared empty but clearly had something in it. "Open it when I'm gone." Josh said and with that he drove off, leaving me standing at the front of the library.

I tore appart the envelope rather violently, to reveal a tightly folded piece of paper. I began the daunting task of opening it without ripping it. In cursive writing, it read, "I love you."

I almost laughed out loud. It was made out to be such a big deal when it was just a simple saying. It was a childish gesture but it also was made out to be the most romantic, mature thing he could do.

The smile on my face seemed to be painted on, by him. He was my Da Vinci. I was floating into the library because he did the smallest thing but it meant so much to me.

I dropped my books at a singular cubicle, only then realizing how heavy they were.

3 playlists and 5 textbooks later, I was due for my six o'clock shift. I kept my headphones in during the moderately on time bus ride to Lucky Pub. I was greeted by the deep brown wooden door that looks like something straight out of middle earth. "Aye! May, Happy to see ya back!" I heard Jaime, the upbeat Irish owner of the very unoriginal named pub. I took the buds out of my ears and entered the scarcely populated main room. Monday nights were fairly empty. Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday were the busiest.

"Yeah, weekend was great. Not too busy were you?" I asked as a rhetorical question. Busy Saturday, empty Sunday. I knew the drill. His hearty laugh was heard throughout the entire pub, letting everyone know of his presence. I clocked in at the back and lazily changed. The white shirt I wore had very noticeable beer stains on the front but I couldn't afford to buy a new one, so I dealt with what I had. No one complained, although they definitely noticed, glancing at the prominent stain before my face.

"Hey pretty lady! Come ere'!" The drunken slurs of an old man were the last thing I needed on a Monday. Jaime directed me to the slug of a man before he left for the night.
"Bye May, have a great shift." He waved as he whistled his way out the door. I waved back, feeling uneasy about him leaving.
I reluctantly spoke to the already drunk patron in front of me. "What can I get you?" I asked teeth gritted. He reached out for my skirt. I stepped away, but not fast enough. He had touched my leg and he must've been given a rush of power by it. It instated a sense of pride in him. This can't be good. Get out of the situation. He was fixed on me now. "Don't be like that baby." he cooed, making me feel sick. He stood up but fell down in the process. I retreated back to the register, behind the closed bar and he followed me. I had refused to serve him and he was frustrated, walking heavily through the open space, knocking over tables and chairs. He eventually stopped in front of me, 3 feet of bar counter separating us. "There's no one here, lets have some fun, huh?" His hands slapped the counter as I became aware of the surroundings. He was right. The place was empty, the next shift wasn't due for another hour. I had only been working for 2 hours. My heart rate increased, I was scared.