Six (Part 2)

SIX (Part 2)
- - - - - - - - - - -

"Sorry," He says and shakes his head. "I... I just got the weirdest feeling..."

Maybe I can make him remember. Maybe if he sees her-

"Come with me," I say.

I grab his wrist and pull him behind me to the bus stop.

"Sit," I say and point at the bench.

"Where are we going?" He laughs a little bit.

"To see her," I say, and I sit on the bench too.

"I thought you want this Hemmings guy to see her?"

"I do. But I can't find him, so I'm taking you instead."

He laughs once. "Great to know I'm the second choice, even if what you're saying is true."

"She hasn't spent as much time with you." I say, looking around for the bus. "But you don't remember either... Maybe you both will remember once you see each other."

"Remember what, kid?"

"My home."

"Isn't this your home?" He asks and smiles at me. "Or the Home Dome?"

I shake my head. The bus pulls up.

"No."

His eyebrows pinch together above his eyes. I think I confused him again. "Gosh, I can't believe... ugh. Fine. What is it that you want us to remember?"

"The Rebellion."

He laughs and stands up.

"Come on, get on the bus."

"Sorry, kid, but I gotta go."

"Please? The feeling you had back there is because of her. Please? It'll only take a little bit."

His shoulders fall, and he looks back at the guys kicking around a ball. He runs his hands through his hair. The bus stops right in front of us and I stand up.

"Okay, kid. I'll come with you. Man, I hope you're right... I hope I don't get caught... What's your name?"

"Justin," I tell him as we get on the bus.

We sit at the back. I like it back here better.

The bus starts to move. A big muscly guy keeps looking back at me, and I try to keep looking out the window. I watch the windows go up as we go through the fake door.

"Hey, kid," I hear.

I turn to see the muscly guy standing in front of us. He wears a black shirt under a white coat, and his arms are big. Like, really big.

I sit up and clench my teeth together. I'm not afraid. I won't let him think I'm afraid. If he thinks I'm afraid, he'll make fun of me or he'll hurt me-I'm sure of it. Maybe.

"You don't belong in this Dome," He says, his voice is all quiet.

"Yeah?" I say, crossing my arms. "Well neither do you."

I hear Ken laugh. He's afraid of the man.

"I'm sorry, sir, I'm just taking my, my little brother to school," He says, shaking his fingers through my hair. I slap them away.

"I'm not your-"

"He was hiding in my closet and I wanted to make sure he got there. I think he's scared of the bus or something. Or that he just doesn't want to leave. It is a long trip from the Dude's Dome to the Home Dome."

The man looks him up and down, and his face is mean-looking. I see Ken smiling a little bit. Why is he lying? It's bad to lie... but I guess it's needed for something like this. Still doesn't make it okay though.

"He looks a little too young-"

"That's exactly it. You see, he's having problems growing and is on all sorts of medications and stuff by Doctors, and our parents were short too, so..."

The guy makes a sound that comes through his nose. "Alright, mister...?"

"Ken. Ken Barkley," He holds out a hand for the man to shake it.

"Don't let him skip again," The man says. He doesn't even look at Ken's hand.

He walks away and sits back down.

The bus stops in the Home Dome, and we get off.

"Why did you lie?" I whisper to Ken. "You're not supposed to lie. Momma said-"

"Where are we going?" He says quickly.

"The Dame's Dome," I say as we get off and we sit to wait for the next bus.

o0o0o

We finally reach the inside of the Dame's Dome. Ken doesn't say much as we walk into the Government Building. There are some strange stares from the women.

"Excuse me, Sir, but you can't be here," A woman says.

I think quick.

"He's her match," I say as much like a baby as I can.

The woman looks down at me and smiles.

"And-and this is my little brother. I couldn't have left him all alone in the Dude's Dome. What kind of a brother would I be if-"

"Alright," She says and walks away.

"Yes!" I whisper and pump my fist once because we won.

I lead Ken down to the room where Eenie is. Tari sees me and looks at him. She's standing right outside of Eenie's room, and she looks at me again and then back at Ken. I think I confused her too.

"Who's this, Justin?"

"Ken Barkley. I brought him to see Eenie. Maybe he'll help her remember."

We walk in the room. She's asleep, but she's trying to say something. She whispers, but some of it I can't understand. I have to keep listening to know what she's saying.

"Wake up... wake up... Eenie..."