Four (Part 1)

FOUR (Part 1)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Startled, I leap back and fall into my tub, bringing down the whole shower curtain with me. I feel the back of my neck hit the farthest lip on as the other edge cuts into the back of my knee.

I sit up as I fight my way out of the blue polka-dotted plastic curtain and push myself up out of the tub. I lean against the counter and stare myself down, watching for something to happen.

What's going on with me?

I have to see somebody about this.

I leave my house, massaging the back of my neck to make the knot go away. Walking on the sidewalk, I feel like everyone passing by is looking at me strangely, although I know it's all in my head.

What's wrong with me?

Above me, other Mech's work on the sky-lid, trying to put the panels back into place. I'm glad they're pretty much bullet proof, or, well, the outer layer of panels are. They're the ones that have to weather the sun and the elements of outside. They're harder to destroy. I wonder what those people were doing, trying to shoot the sky-lid. Were they trying to escape? If that's the case, they didn't plan it very well.

Pulling the doors of the Government Building open, I make my way to the area with the Hospital in it and walk up to the front desk.

A short lady, probably in her late twenties looks up wearily at me, flashing a slight smile my way. Her hair is cut short, its dark brown color almost seeming black in the lighting. Her eyes are kind and tired. Old age has come upon her; she'd be dead in a matter of years. I almost feel sorry for her. Almost. It's just the way the Domes work.

I walk right up to her and place my hands on the cool surface of the counter before her.

"I need to see someone right now," I say urgently.

"Do you have an appointment?" She asks, tapping on the screen of her computer.

"No," I say, my brain racing.

"You'll have to make an appointment," she shakes her head and looks back up at me. "When are you free?"

"Now," I say. "Is there anyone available now?"

The woman sighs, her face seeming to sag more as I stay standing before her.

"You have to make an appointment."

"But this is an emergency," I lower my voice. "I'm seeing things."

"What kind of things?" The woman asks, typing something into her computer, her eyes scanning the screen quickly.

"Just... things. I don't know how to describe it. That's why I need to see a Doctor. Now. I don't know what's wrong with me and I don't want this to drive me insane. Please just find me someone that's available."

The woman sighs once again, her eyes darting up to me for a second and using her finger to scroll on the screen.

"Room three-oh-five is open," She says, nodding towards the hallway on her left. "This won't ever happen again."

I nod as I thank her, and I rush down the hall, counting up the numbers on the door. The Doctors almost never take in walk-ins unless it's an emergency. No one gets sick in the Domes, but it's just in case someone does. And I think I count as a sick Domesperson, whatever it is that's wrong with me.

The door opens just as I reach up to knock, and a tall lady with short blonde hair and black rimmed glasses walks out, almost startled by my arrival.

"Yes?" She asks, surprised at my sudden appearance before her door.