Liam

Alexis unbuttoned her shirt as she bit her lower lip seductively. I walked towards her slowly, gazing at her hands working their way down her shirt.

I caught hold of her hands and ripped her shirt off in one swift motion. She giggled.

"You're hungry, aren't you?" She murmured as she traced her finger across my chest.

"Shut up." I pushed her back on the bed with one hand. I wasn't in the mood for games. I just needed to relax. I was too stressed out because of all that was happening.

About twenty minutes later, I fell back on my bed. Alexis propped herself up on one arm and started tracing her fingers down my abs.

"I hate it when you're so detached." She complained.

"Isn't that the way I always am?"

"Yes, and I wish that could change,"

I shoved her hand away and sat up on the bed. I hated it when Alexis tried to do that. If I wanted an emotional relationship, I could just go and find my mate.

"You should go," I said.

"But... but, Liam..."

"I don't have time for this, Alexis."

I could see the contempt in her eyes as she gathered her clothes. Her shirt was torn so she pulled on mine before walking out of the room.

'The walk of shame', she called it. She once told me that she felt horrible parading around in my clothes and I told her that she could end the relationship if she hated it so much. She hadn't said anything after that.

I pulled on another shirt and walked out of his room. I had to check on Anna and then go meet Alaine and find out more about Paxton.

Anna's room had been relocated to the second floor because Max wanted her as far away from himself and Lily as possible. Max had ordered three guards to stand outside her room at all times so she wouldn't run away.

I wished there was something I could do about that. Anna was innocent of any crimes that Cody had committed but she was suffering for them anyway.

James, Patrick and Quentin were standing outside Anna's room. They moved away from the door as soon as they saw me walk up the hallway.

I had to knock on Anna's door thrice before she opened it.

"Hey, Liam." She murmured. Her green eyes were sparkling, and all the brown was gone from them. That meant her wolf was still hiding.

"How are you feeling?" I asked as I closed the door behind me.

"Good,"

"You're lying,"

"How do you expect me to feel?"

"I just want you to talk about it," I said, "maybe that would help."

"I don't really know what to say." She murmured. She sat down on the sofa slowly, too slowly. She was still in pain because of the weakness.

"You know that none of it is your fault, right?"

She nodded. A tear ran down her cheek.

"Anna, this is our problem and it kills me that my baby sister is a part of it."

"It kills me too," she said, "you know, not knowing where Cody is and whether he's okay or not. At this point, I don't care about what he did... I just want him here."

"He betrayed us,"

"I know," she acknowledged, "I would feel better if he was in a prison down there, alive. That would make me happier than not knowing."

"I wish somebody knew where he was,"

"Liam, promise me you'll bring him back?" Anna begged.

"I promise," I said, "I just can't promise to bring him alive."

I heard Anna weeping softly and that made me feel horrible about hurting my sister. I pulled her into an embrace but she shoved me away.

"I can't help it, Liam," she said, "I love him."

If that was the way people felt about their mates no matter how treacherous they were then I never wanted to find mine. I would be happier without her.

I slammed the door shut as I left her room. I felt irrationally angry. My wolf was seething. We couldn't handle the fact that Cody Silver was out there alive and his sister was fucking the most powerful Alpha the world had ever seen.

How? How will I ever win?

Alpha Titus had been my only hope of finding out where Cody had run off to. But he betrayed us despite the years of alliance between our packs. What else was there to do?

I couldn't count on Max for any of his help. He was too angry to think rationally. The only wolves who could me strategize were Zander Thomas, our beta, and Paul Stoneworth, our third in command. I realized that it was time to call a meeting.

I went to the game room where I knew I could find most of the wolves.

"Nate,"

"Yes, Liam." Nate stood up straight.

"Call Zander and Paul for a meeting tonight. And tell Zander to send five more wolves to join the ten he sent after Cody."

"Yes, Liam."

It was time to use all my power against the enemies of the pack. And perhaps, it was time to destroy the 'most powerful alpha in the world'.

I decided to take Anna's car when I went to meet Alaine. It would be less suspicious. So I rolled her Honda out of the driveway as some wolves stared at the car in shock. I rarely travelled in cars because I preferred my wolf. He was faster.

It took me twenty minutes to reach Alaine's cottage in the woods. Tall trees covered the cottage and put it out of view for most people. Even if the trees weren't there, most people and even wolves would be unable to see it because of the spell.

"Your enver is pretty useless." Alaine said as soon as she opened the door.

"What do you mean?" I entered the cottage and sat down on a sofa. Alaine sat down across from me.

"He's an orphan and has lived with rogues his entire life. He's the only enver he has ever known so you can forget your army of envers. The good thing is that he's extremely powerful and intelligent. He has the ability to see into the future, to read minds and change thoughts, sense emotions and change them and-"

"All of that is perfect, isn't it?"

"Yes but he doesn't stand a chance against an army."

"We just need to find more envers then."

"And how will you do that?"

"None of your business," I said, "if you're done with Jesse and Paxton then I'll send some wolves to bring them back."

"As you wish, Alpha,"

"I'm not the Alpha, Alaine." I corrected her but I knew she had said it on my purpose.

"But you never know what the future holds,"

"Max will always be Alpha!" I was shocked at her blasphemy.

"As you say," she hissed, "Alpha,"

I ignored her and left but I couldn't help thinking about what she had said on my way back to the mansion. I couldn't shake the feeling of dread that I had. What could she possibly mean?