Chapter 4: The Challenge Awaits For Those Who Dare

Crunching the dead leaves under his boot, Marcus headed into the mysterious fog. He wasn't sure what he was suppose to do or go. According to James he was to find something and bring it back, as many other people have before him.

Great. Knowing my luck I'm going to be the first person not to bring something back. Yeah, that'll show them my importance.

After pushing through for what seemed hours, Marcus found it to be a good time to rest. Sitting upon a fallen tree covered in deep green moss, Marcus looked around the forest. It looked different to him sitting down, and actually studying it, rather than when he was walking around miserably thinking about all the ways he could fail.

The tall tree rose out of the ground a stretched high into the sky. Look up at them made Marcus feel how small he really is to the ancient of trees. The tree's leaves connected at the top creating a canape blocking out the light. The leaves glowed with a deep green and umber, the sun above hitting the leaves on the other side.

He saw the tree's swaying as if they were the same body. The small vegetation near his feat stayed in time with the giants. The lack of natural wind did not keep Marcus from feeling small kisses brushing against his cheek. That's when he realized the wind. In fact it wasn't wind at all, it was the tree's themselves. Instead of the breeze making the trees move with it, the trees where the ones forcing the air to move.

Startled, Marcus jumped to his feat, frantically looking around him. Looking back up he realized something that made his heart stop. The breeze wasn't going east or west, south or north. It was aiming towards him. The forest could sense him.

As the thought crossed his mind the wind picked up, and leaves and sticks started thrashing at him. Marcus started to be lifted off the ground as the wind started to pick up and cause a tornado. The speed continued to increase, and the amount of debris continued to rise. Realizing his shortness of breath, Marcus struggled to get his hands to his mouth.

The winds caused his muscles to ache, and he came to realization there was no way he was going to be able to move. With the lack of oxygen, Marcus was going to die.

There was no around it. I'm going to die. I haven't even found out what my mission is. I'm no use to anyone around me. I really am a failure I deserve to die here. Tears started to streak his face. He shut his eyes in pain, then everything went black.

~

When Marcus regained his consciousness, he found the ground beneath him cold and lumpy. His body was unresponsive as a great weight was crushing his chest. He couldn't open his eyes, so his world remained black. Letting out a small groan from his throat, he realized how empty he felt.

I'm dead. I have to be. There is no explaining why I feel this way. At least I wont be of trouble to anyone else.

“Why do you look down on yourself?” Marcus's heart jumped out of his chest. He didn't recognize the voice as his own, so he ruled out it being his consciousness. The voice was soft and concerning. He imagined it similar to the sound of a concerned, and loving mother's voice.

Because, I have been of no use to anyone.

“You may see that as true. But what you are capable of doing as the time permits is more grand than you will ever know. Also. You are capable of speaking.” He heard a small chuckle, and could imagine the speaker smiling. At that thought he attempted to open his eyes, with no avail. He sighed inward.

“Now, now. I said speak, not seeing. You were saying?”

“Its because I have been of no use.”

“But you will be.”

“You keep on saying that. It's highly unbelievable. Maybe you have the wrong person? How would you even know of anything of me. I don't know you, I can't even see you!”

“No. I do not have the wrong person. I see all the choices you can make ahead of you. They all lead to great things. But rather the end up the best in the end depend on your decision.”

“What decision?”

“You will learn soon enough.”

“Wow. Thanks that helps a whole lot.” Marcus rolled his eyes under his lids. He hoped she could see him doing it so she would know how ridiculous she sounded right now.

“I cannot say much more on the matter. Time is running to a close. You must know that lives can hang in the balance. Your decision can mean many things. Fail, and the world will fall into darkness.”

“They cannot rest in my hands. It just cannot be. I insist that you are mistaken!”

“I am sadly not. I am so sorry. The path ahead of you will be a hard one. I believe in you. Trust in what you believe in and I am sure it will be concluded correctly.”

“I'm not quite sure what to believe in. It seems like everything slaps back into my face, and nothing is constant, and I have nothing to rely on.”

“You will learn. There will be a time where you will have that rock to lean on, but know this, that rock needs you equally well.”

“Well then, what am I suppose to do? I'm here, blind and being crushed. I'm completely sure I'm dead, so I wont be able to help you with this whole “destiny” thing.”

“Marcus Fairhelm, you are not dead.”

“What? What did you call me? That's not my last name. I don't have one, its not even the one I had to give up.”

“Oh, but it is. You will learn the truth soon enough. Sure enough you are alive.”

“Well I still can't help you. I have a quest I am in need of finishing. And don't forget I have to live. Not a likely task.”

“You will live. I cannot help you once you leave this forest, but while you are here I can. You are a blacksmith, yes?”

“Yes.”

“Very good. You just assured me even more so that you are... you. There is a stone in the middle of the forest. Untouched and magical. It responds only to a certain thing, and certain being, which, is you. Its been waiting for you. Take that back with you and make a sword and dagger from it. The sword is to be inscribed. I do not know what it is to say though. Perhaps it will come to you while you are making it. The sword is to be of your keeping, learn to use it well. The dagger is not intended for you. A time will come when you do learn of who it is to be given to. Keep it hidden until then. Marcus, the time has ended, good luck. Do not fail.” The last words where given next to his ear as he felt a breath glide across his cheek.

“What do you mean? I don't understand! Come back!”

It was no use, there was no one there.

~Yeah, Lots of dialog. Let me know what YOU think is going to be happen, and what is Marcus so important for? What will the sword and dagger say? Please excuse mistakes, its late and i just wrote two chapter and im tired -_-

Comment/Like/watch and all that jazz, let me know if you want me to dedicate a chapter to you :)