10║the way they create

Ⅱ For Rutts, who is just a genuinely wonderful person Ⅱ    

        My mind whirred, pain coursing through my body and confusion ransacking my thoughts, plaguing them with the remnants of destruction. My eyes were heavy and as I attempted to open them, an unknown force closed them shut, cutting me off from my surroundings. My hands gripped onto the grass, my fingernails digging into the dirt beneath in an attempt to find something of bountiful strength to support me.

        As my fingers clawed at the ground and reached out, they brushed against what seemed to be some kind of material of some sort, and, after feeling it to detect its purpose, I grasped it, pulling it towards me. With a final burst of strength and a determination to save myself, I snapped open my eyes. Thick remains of mud had latched onto my eyelashes, making it harder for me to keep them open. Sunlight seeped through the bottom of the sheet, bouncing and reflecting off the material of the imprisoning cover which seemed to be around me.

        Something brushed against my arm and I tried to turn my neck but with the clinging pain accumulating against my head, I instead rested it against the thick patch of grass encircling me. The cover disappeared and the dancing rays of sunlight penetrated my eyes. After blinking rapidly a few times, my eyes settled on the ground in front of me which was stained with mud and scattered with broken pieces of glass and brick.

        Footsteps crunched against the fragmented pieces of glass and the sunlight in front of me was blocked off by a person, their shadow replacing it. A looming darkness stood tall in front of me, the rapid beams of sunlight expertly escaping from beside them. In a bid to achieve a more secure position, I placed my hands on the ground in front of me, pushing all my strength onto them to get myself off the ground. Crawling onto my elbows, I reapplied the strength to them once again, staggering to my feet before crashing onto my bottom.

        Blood-covered cuts accompanied the burns scattered across my legs and I winced as I ran my hand over them. I pressed a hand to my head, adjusting to the throbbing pain which subsided and then subsequently returned after reluctance. Bringing the hand back to my face, I rubbed the crusted blood between my fingers before wiping it across my dress which was dispersed with rips, blood-stains and muddy splotches.

        From between the suns blinding rays, I could vaguely make out a slender arm, the hand of which was reaching out to me. My hands began to shake as I moved them from the ground onto my leg, and then towards their hand with effort. My hand reached out into thin air before finding residence on cold, smooth skin which caressed my hand, grasping it in a gentle manner. With one hand resting against the ground and the other enveloped by a sleek hand, I was pulled firmly to my feet, standing without falling again. I began to feel dizzy as I pressed a hand to my head, my feet staggering back and forth. I almost fell back but was stopped by hands holding onto my arms. The smooth touch sent shivers down my spine and after removing their hold in a bid to leave me to regain my own strength, the coldness of their played its effect on me and I felt calm all of a sudden.

        All signs of possible resistance slipped away from my body as I eased around their presence. The sun danced across my irises, arousing patterns that floated around my sight as I looked up and then across at them. Placing a hand across my eyes, I attempted to block off the sun’s rays so I could acknowledge the person in front of me. The sun refused to ease up and the harsh rays continued to make my attempt a difficult one, concealing the face of the person whilst emphasising their outline in the shadow of the sun.

        Turning their back on me, the person moved away from the path of the sun’s rays, stepping over to a side. It’s then that I saw the state of what was all around me. The once glorious building was now nothing more than rubble scattered around the garden. The blast had ripped parts of grass away, leaving a muddy mess in its trail. Broken glass and shrapnel was scattered all around me, accompanied by damaged flowers that had been decapitated by the blast.