Chapter 12: Down The Trap Door

As the weather got warmer, Harry, Ron and Hermione, studied for their final exams. Besides studying, Harry had quidditch practice for the upcoming match against Hufflepuff. Gryffindor had their quidditch match against Hufflepuff, with Snape refereeing the match. Harry understood why. Snape didn't want anything to happen to Harry in this quidditch match. Gryffindor won the match, when Harry caught the snitch. Snape had a long talk with Harry about the dragon they gave to Charlie's friends. He understood now why Harry was out after curfew with his friends. The night before their final exams, Ron and Hermione sit by the fireplace. Everyone else had gone up to bed. They were the only ones in the common room. Harry was pacing back and forth. He said, "I realized something earlier this week." Ron said, "What did you realize, Harry." Harry said, "Quirrell doesn't want the stone for himself. He wants the stone for Voldemort. With the Elixir of Life, Voldemort will be strong again. He'll.... He'll come back." Harry sits down as Ron said, "Look, if he comes back, you don't think he'll try to....kill you, do you?" Harry nods, "Yeah, he will, since he tried to kill me while I was a baby." Ron looks worried, "And to think, I've been worried about my potions final." Hermione said, "Hang on a minute, we're forgetting one thing. Whose the one wizard that Voldemort always feared?" Harry and Ron shrug at her. Hermione said, "Dumbledore! As long as Dumbledore's around, Harry, you're safe. As long as Dumbledore's around, you can't be touched." Harry and Ron smile at Hermione, hoping that she's right. They go up to their dorms and head off to bed. They were going to need the rest for their final exams the next day. They awoke the next day and washed up. They got dressed and went down to breakfast. After breakfast they went to their classes to do their final exams. After lunch, they went to the rest of their classes and did the rest of their final exams. After they finished all their exams, they go on the grounds to relax. As they walk, Harry continue to press against his scar. His scar has been hurting all afternoon, but his friends never noticed. Hermione said, "I've heard that the end of year exams were frightful, but I found them rather enjoyable." Ron said, "Speak for yourself." Ron notices Harry pressing his scar with a pained look on his face. Ron said, "Alright there Harry?" Harry said, "My scar.... it's burning." Hermione said, "It's happened before." Harry said, "Not like this." Ron said, "Perhaps you should see the nurse." Harry said, "I think its a warning. It means danger is coming." How Harry knew that, he did not know. He just knew it. He could feel it. Harry spots Hagrid, outside his hut, carving a piece of wood. Harry said, "Oh.... Of course!" Hermione said, "What is it?" Harry said as he starts to walk faster, "Don't you think it's a bit odd that what Hagrids wants more than anything is a dragon, and a stranger turns up , who just happens to have one?" Being around Snape for so long taught him how to put 2 and 2 together. Harry continues, "I mean, how many people wondering around with dragon eggs in their pocket? Why didn't I see it before?" Harry breaks at a run, with Ron and Hermione running behind him, as they run to Hagrid.

They stop in front of Hagrid. Harry said, "Hagrid, who gave you the dragon egg? What did he look like?" Hagrid said, "I don't know. I never saw his face. He kept his hood up." Harry said, "This stranger though, knew he must have talked." Hagrid said, "Well, he wanted to know what sort of creatures I looked after. I told him, after Fluffy, a dragon's not going to be any problem." Harry said, "Did he seem interested in Fluffy?" Hagrid said, "Well of course he was interested in Fluffy. How often do you come across a three-headed dog? Even if you're in the trade. But I told him,I said, the trick with any beast is to know how to calm it. Take Fluffy for example, just play him a bit of music and he'll fall straight to sleep." Harry, Ron and Hermione looked horrified. They knew one thing, Quirrell knew how to get passed Fluffy. They had to talk to Dumbledore and fast! Hagrid said, "I shouldn't have told you that." Harry, Ron and Hermione turned around and started to run back up to the castle, Hagrid called out to them, "Where are you going?!" They continued to run up to the castle. They ran all the way to the Transfiguration classroom, where McGonagall was grading essays. They run up to her, which startles her. Harry said, "We have to see Professor Dumbledore immediately." McGonagall said, "I'm afraid Professor Dumbledore is not here, Harry. He received an urgent letter from the Ministry of Magic and left immediately to London." Harry said, "He's gone?! Now?! But this is important! This is about the sorcerer's stone!" McGonagall looks surprised and said, "How did you....?" Harry cuts in, "Someone's going to try and steal it!" McGonagall said, "I don't know how you three found out about the stone, but I can assure you that it is perfectly well protected. Now would you three go up to your dormitories, quietly." They leave the classroom, looking defeated. They walk a few feet away from the classroom, before stopping. Harry said, "That was no stranger that Hagrid met. It was Quirrell. Which means he knows how to get passed Fluffy." Hermione said, "And with Dumbledore gone...." They were interrupted by Snape, who came up behind them. He said, "Good afternoon." All 3 of them turn around and look up at Snape. Harry said, "Professor, we have to tell you something. It's about the stone. We told McGonagall, but she didn't believe us. You told me if she didn't believe me, to come to you." Snape looks at the three of them, then said, "All three of you, my office, now." Snape swept away as they followed him. He leads them down to the dungeons and to his office. He opens the door and said, "Inside." All three enter his office and look around as Snape shuts the door behind him. He pulls his wand out and puts the Muffliato spell on the door, then puts his wand up his sleeve. His office had shelves upon shelves of ingredients, some looking very odd. His desk and chair was by the window. His fireplace was lit with a bowl of floo powder on the mantle. The candelabra and torches were lit as well, lighting up the room. There was neat piles of books near his desk. Snape had them sit in the chairs. He had to conjure up a third chair for Hermione.