Chapter 9: Christmas Break Part 2

Snape figures if Harry is going to be spending Christmas with him, he might as well decorate his quarters. So that Harry could have a proper Christmas for the first time in his life. He puts on his winter cloak, gloves and scarf and heads outside. He heads down to Hagrid's hut and knocks on his door. Fang the boar hound, barks as Hagrid said, "I'm coming! Back Fang, back!" Hagrid opens the door, "Why hello there, Professor. Happy Christmas to you!" Snape said, "Happy Christmas to you too, Hagrid. May I ask for a favor from you?" Hagrid smiles, "Of course, Professor!" Snape said, "I need a tree to decorate for Christmas, as Harry will be spending the holidays with me." Hagrid smiles broadly, "Of course Professsor! I'd be glad to help ye! Let me get me coat and me ax." Snape said, "Thank you, Hagrid." Hagrid said, "You're welcome, Professor." Snape waits outside as Hagrid bundles up. He comes out of his hut a few minutes later, holding an ax. Hagrid said, "Alright, let's go get ye a tree, Professor. Come with me." Hagrid walks into the forbidden forest as Snape follows. They soon find some spruce trees near a clearing. Snape starts looking at the trees, until he sees the perfect spruce tree. It was just a foot taller than Snape. It had the perfect width for a Christmas tree and a perfect tip to put a topper on it. Snape said, "Over here, Hagrid! I found the tree I want!" Hagrid comes lumbering over from where he was looking. He stands next to Snape and looks at the tree. Snape said, "This tree, Hagrid. It's perfect." Hagrid smiles, "You picked a good tree there, Professor. Now, stand back while I cut the tree down." Snape stands back as Hagrid starts sawing the trunk of the spruce tree. After 15 minutes Hagrid said, "TIMBER!" As the tree falls. Once the tree lands on the ground, Hagrid fixes the trunk so that it can fit into the tree stand. He picks up the trunk of the tree and begins to drag it with him. He said, "Come on, Professor, I'll help you take this tree to your quarters." Snape said, "Thanks, Hagrid." Hagrid smiles as he said, "You welcome, Professor." Snape follows Hagrid to his hut. Hagrid said, "One minute, Professor." He sets the tree down and goes into his hut. He comes back out with a tree stand that he had made himself. It looks sturdy and nicely made. Hagrid said, "You'll need this, Professor." He puts his saw away and picks up the tree stand. He walks out of his hut again and shuts the door. He picks up the tree and resumes dragging it through the snow. Snape follows behind him as they walk up to the castle.

Hagrid drags the tree to Snape's quarters. Snape unlocks the door and opens it to allow Hagrid to enter. Hagrid carefully pulls himself through the door and drags the tree inside. Snape enters his quarters and finds a small green rug that could serve as a tree skirt for the Christmas tree. He places it by the fireplace and said, "Put it up here, by the fireplace, Hagrid. It will look good here." Hagrid said, "Alright, professor." Hagrid drags the tree and sets it down , away from the fireplace. He sets the the tree stand down unto the green rug then carefully puts the trunk into the tree stand. He, then, lifts the tree so that it would stand upright. Hagrid makes sure that the tree wasn't crooked. Once Hagrid was finished, he said, "There you go, Professor." Snape said, "Thank you Hagrid, for doing this for me." Hagrid said, "It was nothing, Professor. I'm glad to do it." Snape said, "How about some mead for helping me get a tree, Hagrid." Hagrid said, "That would be great Professor. Thank you!" Snape said, "You're welcome, Hagrid." Snape said, "Pixie!" A female house elf appeared. She said, "You called Pixie?" Snape said, "Yes, Pixie, I did. Can you please bring me a bottle of mead for my friend here?" Pixie bows, "Yes, sir, Pixie will bring you a bottle of mead right away, sir." Snape said, "Thank you Pixie." Pixie bows and disapparates. She comes back a few minutes later with a bottle of mead. She said, "Pixie has brought you a bottle of mead, sir." Snape takes the bottle and said, "That will be all, Pixie. Thank you." Pixie bows and disapparates with a crack. Snape hands the bottle to Hagrid and said, "There you go, a bottle of mead for helping me get a tree." Hagrid takes the bottle and said, "Thank you Professor! A Happy Christmas to ya!" Snape said, "You are very welcome, Hagrid. Happy Christmas to you, too." Hagrid smiles then carefully leaves Snape's quarters. Snape shuts the door and locks it. It was time to decorate the tree. He had decorations, thanks to Dumbledore. He goes into his closet again and brings down the box of decorations that Dumbledore had given him. He sets it by the tree and opens the box. He pauses for a moment and thought, 'Perhaps Harry should decorate the tree with me. It might be something he would enjoy doing.' Snape leaves his quarters and heads up to the stairs to Gryffindor Tower. He bumps into McGonagall along the way, who gives him the password to enter the tower. Snape thanks her and continues up the stairs, until he reaches the Fat Lady, whose portrait was open like a door. He sees Harry coming out of the common room. Snape said, "Harry, I was just coming to see you." Harry looks at Snape and smiles, "Oh, hi dad. You wanted to see me?" Snape said, "Indeed I do, Harry. I was thinking, perhaps you would like to decorate the tree with me. You see, Hagrid helped me pick out a tree to put in my quarters. I have a box of decorations that was given to me by Professor Dumbledore. I haven't used them until now. I thought, since you never had a proper Christmas, thanks to that aunt and uncle of yours, that perhaps I could give you a proper Christmas." Harry looks at Snape in surprise. He said, "You want me to decorate the tree with you?" Snape nods, "I do Harry. I have a special tree topper I made years ago, that I want to show you. I'll even let you put the topper on the tree." Harry grins, his green eyes shining. He said, "That would be great, dad! I'll finally get to enjoy Christmas!" Snape eyes glitter as he smiles slightly at Harry. The warmth in his heart growing. Snape said, "Come down to my quarters, so that we may start decorating the tree, Harry." Harry grins, "Ok, let me let Ron know, dad." Snape nods as Harry sticks his head into the common room and calls out, "Ron, I'm going down with dad to decorate the tree together! I'll be back later, ok?!" Ron calls back, "Alright, Harry! See you then! Happy Christmas to your dad!" Snape smirks as he goes and pokes his head in. He sees Ron looking at them, his homework on the table. Snape said, "Happy Christmas to you as well, Mr. Weasley." Ron looking surprise and said, "I didn't know you were standing outside, sir." Snape smirks, "It's alright, Mr. Weasley, I was waiting for Harry." Ron said, "Oh ok, sir. You have a good Christmas, professor." Snape said, "You as well, Mr. Weasley." Ron nods and smiles slightly, then goes back to working on his homework. Snape pokes his head back out and said to Harry, "Let's go, Harry." Harry smiles as they walk away from the Fat Lady. Her portrait closing shut, hiding the entrance to the common room.