twenty-one

Alex and Magnus were sitting on their table in the corner, Magnus talking enthusiastically, gesturing, seeming more passionate and open than ever to Alex, her just sitting, and listening, and smiling at him. When the waiter came whom Magnus knew, he smirked at seeing Magnus, who usually came here alone, talking and laughing with this boy, and his face was still all pleasure when he asked the two what drinks they would like; Magnus ordered his common drink, a raspberry-mango lemonade he absolutely adored, and after his asking, advised Alex to try another lemonade; while their waiter recited the plenty of options they offered, Alex was listening carefully, and hearing that they had a pineapple-mint combo, Magnus saw a short spark in his eyes, followed by polite waiting until the enumeration of fruits was done. Then he quickly ordered the drink he had liked and the two of them were given more time to pick their meals.

"This really is an awesome location, Magnus", Alex relaunched their conversation after the waiter had interrupted it. "It has some impressing design ideas, beautiful decorations all over, plus you really seem to get along well with that waiter; and they have got quite interesting fruit combinations for their drinks", he added, laughing again.

Magnus just smiled and slowly nodded at everything she said, quite content with his choice. Obviously, he loved this place, next to the café he often had breakfast at on Sunday, where he enjoyed reading, this was his favourite place in all of Boston, and he was just very glad Alex liked it as well. The people were awesome, not only this waiter, but also the owner, a very lively and passionate middle-aged woman whose heart Magnus had instantly won by his love for literature and poetry. She had been running the restaurant with her husband for quite some years in a more traditional manner, until her daughter, ending her time at college, had inspired her to set a new tone for the entire atmosphere by modernising and recreating the place, and then running it in a more progressive manner. She had learnt that there were plenty of young vegans in Boston that soon started to love the place just like Magnus did. He could not have thought of any other place to bring Alex to, and, apparently, he was right in supposing that he was going to like it, too.

"I am truly happy you like it too, Al", he said, lightly laughing at himself for giving Alex this name.

"Hey!!", the prompt reaction came; "Who gave you the permission to use this name. I mean, what is Al even supposed to be?!" Upon saying this, Alex crossed his arms and looked at Magnus in an annoyed way. As he saw that Magnus' smile was fading and heat was rising up to his head, causing his cheeks to redden, his eyes being lowered at the table, as he obviously was intently pondering what to respond, Alex hid his smile and enjoyed Magnus' reaction. He would really have to stop intimidating the boy in that manner, for he was always taking everything way too seriously, and Alex was afraid to hurt him again. And really, he had noticed his mistake. Quickly enough to make Magnus understand, Alex bowed over the table, her mouth not far from Magnus' face, close to his ear, and whispered tenderly.

"Hey, you! It's okay. I actually even like when you call me by this name. I'm just messing with you..." Saying this, trying to bring Magnus back to comfort, Alex smiled as reassuringly as possible, hoping that Magnus would decipher his mimics and come to the conclusion that it really was a joke. Alex did like the way Magnus spoke to him. Alex did not like to show his feelings, to let other people in on what she thought and resented, and this habitude of closedness prevailed, even when the other person was not some random guy on the street, but Magnus, this boy so innocent, so adorable, so vulnerable, that he had started to like more than anybody before in such a short time. It was a strong habit and an easy solution for any kind of problem, even where there really was none, to hide behind the disguise he had created himself in the past years, this mask of a strong, cold, insensible Alex, that cared for nobody, just like nobody cared for him.