Chapter 2

Crawford Security was a small security company serving Southeastern Michigan, primarily Metro Detroit. Services included training, surveillance, events—nothing that reached high-level danger proportions. Annie experienced enough of that out of the office. She had started the business less than a year ago hoping to continue what she knew; what she did best. Owning a business was a huge responsibility, but she needed something legitimate in her life. Something she could control. With her law enforcement contacts, Crawford Security attracted some high-level clients. Business was picking up.

On this particular Monday, Annie stood in the office of her top security specialist, Marvin Carter, studying the contents of a file. She had been late that morning, still recovering from the weekend’s activities. As much as she was dedicated to her company, she was itching to go home. Her double life was wearing her down and there was no one she could confide in. Not even Carter.

Annie looked up from the file to find Carter giving her that look. The one that said he knew she was in a mood. She appreciated that he didn’t say anything. Often times he assumed it was about Michael. Everyone did. Last month was the one year anniversary of the murder of Annie’s fiancé, Michael Mercer. The two had both been Detroit police officers, though no one knew of their impending marriage. There had almost been two murders on that day; against all odds, Annie survived.

She closed the file and handed it to Carter. “You’re right, Carter. If Wilson can’t get the security cameras in and tested by the fifteenth, we’re screwed.”  

“I’m tired of his crap,” Carter said. “He doesn’t have the right attitude for this type of work.” Although Carter’s presence was commanding—he was a six-foot-four, African American with a shaved head and a Darth Vader voice—outside of work he was an unassuming, friendly guy. Unless, of course, you called him Marvin. Then he would sew your ass to the carpet. He had been friends with both Annie and Michael back on the force. She remembered being drawn to Carter more than the other females on the force she could have bonded with. Annie had been that way since she could remember. Men were easier to talk to, to be friends with. She and Carter had hit it off instantly.

“I’m sorry we wasted so much time on him,” Annie said. “He seemed…”

Carter’s phone beeped. His hand shot to his pocket to pull it out. “Sorry—”

Annie stopped, waiting for Carter to check the incoming text. They both knew that what came across on his phone could change everything for him. Carter shook his head and stuffed the phone back in his pocket.

“Well?” Annie said, eyebrows arched.

“Sorry, it wasn’t her.”

“You’re supposed to find out about the trial today, right?” Annie felt helpless knowing Carter’s wife was slowly dying of cancer.

“Yeah.” His voice was low, weak.

“Didn’t you say she was a good candidate for the treatment?”

“We think she’ll be accepted, but we just found out insurance might not cover it.”

“I’m sorry, Carter.” She placed a gentle hand on his arm. It burned her up to see bureaucratic bull directing the fate of Carter’s wife. He’d become like family to her and things were finally turning out the way he’d planned. When his wife gave birth to twins, he quit the force to start doing freelance work for security firms. He wanted to make certain he was around for his girls. His father hadn’t been. “Please let me know as soon as you hear anything.”

“I will.” He shook himself free of the burden. “Now, let’s get back to work. I say we cut Wilson loose before he does any more damage.”

“Fine with me. Go with your guy, Carter. But talk to Wilson first.”