Talk to Me

*Chad’s P.O.V.*

I had to get out of there. With Röbby sleeping upstairs, it wasn’t safe. I walked out of the house, wrapping my arms around myself as I walked down the dimly lit street.

I didn’t want anybody hurt… the news story, it scared me. It made me feel like things weren’t going to be ok. I swore to myself that I wouldn’t let things like that get to me, but with Röbby right there, it was different. It made me think about how vulnerable we all really were…

I sighed heavily and kept walking without any real idea of where I was going. I was used to it though, not knowing where I was going to end up, or what I was going to do. People thought I had it all together but that was far from the truth. I was quite literally a walking disaster. I needed help, I knew that much, but I wasn’t going to get it. It wasn’t safe no matter what I did.

My instinct was always to go to Röbby; he was the one constant in my life, but I knew that he was exactly what I needed to avoid, at least for the time being. I just didn’t feel comfortable.

I soon found myself at the local park, and I sat down on a bench as I looked around. I sighed, relaxing as I saw that I was alone. I closed my eyes and ran my hands through my hair as I just tried to clear my mind. I wasn’t helping myself by thinking so negatively. I needed to stay positive, and not let myself get so paranoid.

Several minutes passed, and I was almost nodding off when a buzz in my pocket made me jump and open my eyes. I pulled my phone out and looked to see that I had a text from Röbby. I thought he was asleep… but who knows with that goofball. I sighed and read his text.

Can you come back home? I don’t feel safe having you out alone at night.

I frowned as I tried to think of a reply. Was he worried that I was going to be attacked.

I shook my head and quickly typed up a text back: I’ll be fine, I’m a big boy. Go back to bed.

My phone buzzed again not even ten seconds later. I read it: I can’t go back to bed with you out there.

I sighed again and sat back against the bench. I didn’t want to go back, but I knew I would feel bad if I left him there worrying about me. Although I knew that I would be fine, I reluctantly stood up and replied to him once more before I started walking again: Fine, I’m heading home.

Thank you.

I slid my phone back into my pocket and continued walking until I got back to our place. Röbby had made the decision that I would be living with him after I broke up with my girlfriend, Baylie. She was cheating on me with some guy so got my ass away from her as fast as I could, and so Röbby let me stay with him. I wanted to go out and look for a new place to live so I wouldn’t be mooching off of him the whole time, but he insisted that it be permanent.

Anyway, I unlocked the door and walked in, and Röbby looked at me from the couch seeming relieved. “Good.” I heard him say quietly, more to himself than to me. I tossed my keys onto the small table by the door and walked over to where Röbby was sitting, and I sat down beside him. He was staring at the TV which was now on some old sitcom.

“You ok?” I asked. He nodded slowly.

“Yeah… are you?”

I had to suppress a small chuckle. “Yeah Röbby, I’m fine.”

He nodded again. “Good… good.”

The whole time he didn’t look at me, he just kept his eyes glued to the screen but he didn’t really look like he was paying much attention. His mind was on something else but I didn’t know exactly what.

“Are you sure you’re ok? I thought you were sleeping. How come you’re up?”

Several moments went by before he took a deep breath. “I… I couldn’t sleep.”

“Are you ok though?” I repeated, frowning as I did. He didn’t say anything for about five seconds before he looked at me and opened his mouth to speak, but then closed it and looked away. He looked like he wanted to say something to me but he remained silent. I looked at him for a little while before sighing and standing up. “Alright, I’m going to bed. Goodnight.”

I gave him a chance to speak up as I slowly walked towards the stairs, but he didn’t take it. I shook my head and continued up to the bathroom. I took my makeup off and brushed my teeth, then went to my bedroom and switched into some more comfortable clothes before getting into bed.  I wanted to relax and go to sleep, but I couldn’t keep my mind off of Röbby.

He was worrying me. He seemed off and I wanted to know why, but he wouldn’t let me. He wouldn’t tell me a single thing even when I would ask and that bothered me. He always talked to me about his problems… what was different this time? Why couldn’t he tell me? He knew I was always there for him, that I could help him with whatever it was. I didn’t understand and it drove me crazy.

Why didn’t he trust me?