Prologue

Crackled laughter haunted the empty corridors of his home as a petite girl dodged his fiery, purple blast. She hid behind a desk as he rounded the corner, only to find the girl missing. Heavy breathing could be heard from the other end of the room as she felt her legs giving out from under her. 

"You can't be serious here, kitten. You really think that rolling around this entire room would help you escape from me?" His cold voice left goosebumps across her skin as she laid low beneath bundles of cloth. 

What this man use this much for? She thought to herself, It's really comfortable though. 
"Come out, come out wherever you are," he voice grew louder with every step he took. She panicked. Her biggest mistake. He kicked the cloth aside and she pounced at him. She clawed his face till it began to bleed and punched him brutally only to be flung across the room with a flick of his wrist. He let out a deep growl when he felt the sticky substance touched his fingertips. 

"You'll regret doing that," he released a wave of purple fire. She dove aside, but a few second too late. It seared her side as she let out a pained cry. Gripping onto her wound, she stood with newfound annoyance and anger towards this man.

"And you will regret doing that."

A golden halo surrounded her as she felt her body warmed and felt the familiar tingling sensation. She raised a bloody hand and thrusted the same wave of energy back to him. She heard the muffled sound of a crunch and watched as his body fell, limp and lifeless to the ground. 

"And it decides to only show up now," she said officially pissed off at her newfound powers, not even feeling dazed but truly drained.

◇♧♡♤

R

agged breathing echoed down the empty street as she stumbled and rested against the brick wall. She winced slightly as she removed her hand  as more blood ooze down her shirt. Silently cursing under her breath, she ripped off a sleeve and tied it around her waist, securing it as tightly as possible. Tears pricked her eyes as she blinked it back. Taking in heavy breaths She trudged forward with renewed strength and agitation towards her wound as well as kicking herself internally at how stupid she was to fall for his trap. 

She grunted as she fell forward but she never hit the unforgiving concrete, head pounding as the world spun a little. Darkness fell around her and a tall figure jogged forward.

"Hey, hey, I got you," a soothing, familiar voice said.
"Funny you say that. You weren't there when that little son of-" she started.
"Hey, language," her brother cut her off.

She chuckled a little and continued, "when he decided that it'll be fun to try and blast my guts out and splatter it over on that new canvas he just got after snapping his fingers. It was entertaining to watch him try, only it to kinda, sorta miss. And now I feel a little… light.. headed."

And with that she collapsed into her brother's arms. 

"Same old Dakota, I'm surprised you even made it this far. And I told you not to go there alone, but no, you decide to go there, alone. And then, decides not to tell me and leave me panicking and… okay I need to stop."

He picked up her limp legs and swung her arm around his neck and carried her all the way back to base, thinking of the many things he could give her a lecture on.