26 - Say hey to Hi-Tech

Blogbuster Building, aka the BBB, here we go.

The vloggers stepped out of the shuttle buses and walked towards the entrance. Wall-sized windows covered it, two giant steel doors slid open. Hundreds of people stood to the left and right screaming as the vloggers entered. Hand-picked reporters from the blogosphere arrived together with the security and dozens of shouting fans. All chanting different names. Violet even heard ‘Gear’ a couple of times, mixed with the ‘Bam’ name chanting. He moved towards a group of kids who held up a sign reading ‘Bam’s the best.’

Bam stepped towards his fans signing their arms, shirts and even that one punk girl’s cleavage. Even Trigger went into full-fan catering. A middle-aged guy behind the line handed him an empty cartridge and gleamed with shiny eyes as Trigger wrote his trademark signature on it.

“Violet, Violet, over here.”

She looked right and saw a group of girls with violet-colored hair, wearing DIY attire. But not any outfits — Violet noticed their style in an instaflash. Sure, the cut looked skewed and the color choice was questionable, but the girls definitely modeled their outfits after Violet Gear’s fashion style. She beamed. And although she rarely gave autographs, she walked up the girls and showed her candy side.

“What’s up ladies ?”

They squealed in unison. The chubby brunette stepped forward. 

“I’ve watched all your videos. I even followed your fashion tutorials, look how you inspired me.”

She moved back and pointed towards her makeshift dress. It looked like a birthday dress mangled by a psychopath with two left hands.

“What do you think ?” the girl said with big eyes.

Design disaster from top to bottom, but come on, not even Violet could bring that line over her lips.

“I think you’re on the right path, keep creating,” she said.

It was bad PR to fire the insults before the event, especially to those who supported her. So she kept it low profile. All smile and low spit. She gave the girls an autograph and headed back to the building front of everyone else.

“Gotta go, wish me luck, ladies.”

“Always and always,” they said in unison.

Violet and the other vloggers entered the lobby adorned with glossy marble floors. Every step felt like a million credits. She could even see her reflection looking back up at her. So shiny.

“Hello, vloggers.”

The reception lady greeted everyone with a service smile. It was time to check in.

Violet saw the Official BB-branded personnel welcoming them. They took care of the equipment and bags. Everything appeared to be a normal check-in, similar to a classy hotel. Violet looked around and inspected her rival vloggers up close. A small girl with curly hair and freckles squealed till everyone in the hall turned to her.

“What’s wrong with the connection ? I can’t update my community.”

The vloggers just looked at her, two checked it out themselves. Their eyes blew up.

“It’s true,” Fitnessy said, “the web doesn’t work here.”

Invisible question marks on every vlogger’s face.

“Ah yeah,” said the lady behind the reception desk.

“I forget to tell you — this facility is 100% offline till the begin of the show.”

Every vlogger’s face turned to WTF mode.

“You’re kidding, right ?”

She shook her head, Violet stepped up.

“What does this mean ? Why can’t we go online ?”

“Mr. Stax said the BBB functions as a place of rest and preparation. He wants you to worry about the impending challenges and not about your online communities.”

“You mean he doesn’t want us to spoil the show.”

“That, too,” the lobby lady said.

The vloggers cursed, moaned and sighed at the same time. Violet couldn’t let go of it.

“We’re participating in the so-called biggest online show on the planet, and we can’t even use the web ?”

The lady forced out a smile.

“Sorry, sweetie, but it’s for your own good.”

“This blows.”

“Go home and cry about it.”

All eyes drifted to a scrawny guy with jet-black, curly hair. He cleared his throat and walked up to the desk and stood two breaths away from Violet.

“This show is about becoming Stax’ Head of Online Content. A multi-million credit salary with more prestige than you can handle. If you’re already whining about the rules, save yourself a lot of trouble and go home right now.”

Violet boiled. The way he looked at her, the way his high-pitched voice ripped through the air, it gave her the chills. His words were an open invitation to bust his slimy face. But it was too early for enmity. She clutched her teeth and took a deep breath. The receptionist put on a soft voice.

“I’m sorry, instructions are instructions.”

Her face slid into a shine.

“But I can promise you this facility has premium alternatives. Wait till you see the rooms, we have the best food, workout, and planning center you can find on this side of the planet.”

“That’s a big call,” Bam said.

The receptionist continued to smile.

“You’ll soon witness it yourself. Now please, go enjoy your rooms. You will hear an announcement from the Blogbuster crew soon.”

The vloggers walked towards the elevators. Only the freckle-faced girl stayed on her spot, kneeling on the marble floor.

“No Internet, no Internet, no Internet. What will my community think of me ? They’ll think I have abandoned them.”

Pause.

“They’ll hate me.”

Bam walked up to her.

“Don’t worry, it’s just going to be a day or two. They’ll survive without you.”

The girl freaked out.

“One day ? One entire day ? That’s like half a lifetime in Internet years.”

Her face turned snow-white. Bam shrugged, walked towards the elevator. The scrawny guy with the curly hair squinted and swapped looks between Bam and Violet.

“One minute in the lobby, and two girls are near breakdown.”

He cracked a smile which unveiled his crooked teeth.

“This show is going to be an easy win.”