17 - Goodbye, Bam ?

Bam checked his inbox. For the hundredth time today. According to the official site, the confirmation results were sent out today. So he scanned his inbox, looking for that one mail. His eyes glazed over the spam, the messages, till he stopped at one particular subject line. It read notification. Marked with a triple star, aka premium priority. Under it stood the Blogbuster brand logo, courtesy of Stax Media. This was it.

Bam swallowed and felt his heartbeat go bonkers. This was the mail he’d been waiting for. 

E for excitement. He wiped his hands, felt the friction warming up the sweat between his palms. Bam opened the mail.

Dear Mr. Bam (is your surname ‘Bi’ ?)

The Blogbuster Admissions Council has reviewed your application. Unfortunately for you, we are unable to offer you a place in the show. 

Although it seemed like a tough decision for the council, it wasn’t. Your low online subscriber and view counts simply couldn’t compete with other vloggers who were more ambitious than you. Stax Media is a beloved and epic online entertainment brand. It creates the best, and demands the best. To which you clearly not belong.

What a loss for you. You could have participated in the world’s greatest online show and potentially won the top content position at my renowned media empire. Sucks to be you now.

Do better next time,

Roman Stax, CEO of Blogbuster and Stax Media.

Bam groaned. If this was a physical paper, he’d blown it into acid. Low online subscriber count ? He amassed almost thirty-five thousand subscribers, and at least two and half million views in total. How could this not suffice ?

It must have been a mistake. It had to be. That’s why he checked the official Blogbuster channel and browsed through the winning applicants’ profiles. The first thing he noticed was that all of them were famous video bloggers. Famous as in, mega-uber-perversely-famous. He knew half of them and subscribed to at least two. The second thing he noticed was their abnormal view count. Especially that Asian girl with the violet streak in her hair, wearing an odd mix between black motorbike jacket and video game armor. She owned it.

Violet Garcia-Tang.

More known under her vlogger name and eponymous fashion label,

Violet Gear.

And her channel video count ?

Over 123,000,000 views. Bam swallowed, repeated the number in his mind. A hundred twenty-three million views. This was madness. How could a vlogger attract so many ? He entered her profile page and found out. Clicked on a recent video one called called ‘Epic fashion show fail’.

And for a second, he thought he landed on some B-movie video with crappy sci-fi elements. Flares shot through the air, people in military-inspired techwear waddled through an industrial complex. An explosion occurred and set one woman’s techwear on fire. She screamed until a guy blew it out with firefoam. The Asian vlogger girl entered the scene and accused the young woman of ruining the fashion show, the woman creamed with foam moaned about suing the vlogger, it went back and forth between the two hot heads, blahblah. Bam checked the view count, 57,622,152 million. Bangcrap, that video alone attracted more views than his entire channel. He facepalmed himself. Because he had to.

The Blogbuster ended for him before it even began.