Chapter 2: A New Face

The young girl had been in slumber for a mere few days, and in those mere few days, the same kind-eyed fire fighter had been to visit. His curiosity was one to marvel, how it drove him to her bedside and how it kept him tittering on the edge of irritability. This irritability wasn't negative, though, much more like desperation; he wanted to ask her so many questions.

As he entered the small white-washed box, for the hundredth time in those days, he took the seat placed next to her bed. He chair was an armchair, it's main body covered in a tough but flexible plastic, its pigments the same red as the flames. It also had arms and legs of pale wood, chipped and scratched of its polish. He took a seat in the red chair, a feeling of untouched serenity washing over him. He looked down on himself and brushed away non existent dust from his checkered shirt and tweed jacket. He also brushed it from his dark jeans. He wasn't an unkempt man, he very much liked cleanliness - so much that he would probably be boarder-line OCD. Strange to think a man of his way would choose a job of dirt and grit.

After ensuring he was presentable, he leaned forward and placed his elbows on his knees - his chin resting in the palm of his hand. He submerged himself in thought, still tripping over the many questions he wished to ask the girl beside him. At the thought of the girl, he glanced over and recalled that he hadn't checked the name tag. He mentally slapped himself and stood, subtly searching for the white wristband.

He then noticed the obvious about hospitals, whilst he found and read the name - everything in hospitals are purifying white, as if anything dark would dampen the mood and Illnesses of those who resided inside.

He then came back to reality, calming his analytical mind and said the name aloud.

"Phoenix?" He puzzled - just Phoenix. Written in bold black letters, 'Phoenix', but no last name or even a middle name. This strange girl only had one name; unidentified by any other names. He let a small, forced amount of air rush past his lips - something similar to a laugh.

He couldn't believe that even her name resembled that of a physicality of fire, maybe she was a Phoenix - the legendary bird that flew with wings of fire. He retreated from the young girls form, a stir of vocals from her throat. He stepped away and she gave another slur of mumbles. A second later her mumbles turned to a cough and then a cry. He shot forward, pressing the distress button next to her bed and then trying his best to ease her. She tried to calm down but tears were streaming down her face. He stole another glance at her and in her eyes were emotions of fear and regret. She was heaving and the man didn't know what else to do other than breathe with her.

"Calm down, you're safe." He mentioned, gently. She slowed her breaths in time with his and then a flash of navy blue and white came into the box.

"The distress button was pressed in this room; is everything alright?" The nurse asked hurriedly. The fire fighter shrugged and pulled away.

The girl, named Phoenix, pulled up the covers close to her, a defensive glare pointed at the nurse.

"You're alright, Phoenix; you were in a fire a couple of days ago and now you're in the hospital. You've endured no injuries, just a little shocked." The nurse was speaking as if to a child and the fire fighter was stood in the far corner observing.

"Fire? Hospital? Why?" Phoenix asked. The nurse leaned in and spoke to Phoenix calmingly. The fire fighter was in awe. The nurse then straightened up, gave a healing smile and then left.

A quietness came about and Phoenix then turned her gaze to the man in the corner.

"...erm...I'm...Phoenix..." She gave a small wave of her fingers along with her words of greeting.