How Did We Come To This

I lay my head on Buzz's shoulder, closing my heavy eyelids, but not yet falling asleep. Our hands are entwined with each other's, and his thumb rubs my hand gently. He wouldn't be feeling the same thing, would he? I can't imagine Buzz and me ever being more than friends, but a part of me wishes and hopes for the day our lips meet, the softness of his. It fills me with hope, I'm still unsure as to why I'm feeling these emotions, but they don't feel wrong.

"Hey, Woody?" Buzz asks, keeping his voice low and soothing.

"Mhm?" I reply, opening my eyes slightly, looking at the shimmer of light bouncing off of his foot from the closet door.

"How long do you think you're going to stay for?"

"Maybe 3 or 4 days, why do you ask?"

"I just wanted to know ahead of time," Buzz says, sounding unhappy about my reply. "So that I won't be surprised when you eventually have to go."

He tightens his grip on my hand and sighs quietly. I don't want to get up, but my mind tells me that this cuddle session can't last forever. I yawn and close my eyes, shifting my body into a more comfortable position. Buzz seems to fall asleep before me, his light snores make me smile. I feel at home.

I open my eyes to a quiet world, almost like a void, except for a dense forest around me. I begin to walk further into the forest, wondering where my friends are.

"Buzz? Jessie? Bo? Is anyone out there?" I yell into the trees, trying to find any source of life. It takes about five seconds for me to get a reply, I stop dead in my tracks. I hear a scream ahead of me, and it doesn't take long for me to realise who the scream came from. I bolt toward the source and stop at the edge of a cliff.

"H-Hey! Is anyone up there?" The voice screams again.

"Buzz?" I say looking over the edge in shock. "Hold on, I'll pull you up."

I spend what feels like 5 minutes trying to get Buzz up, and when I do, he looks terrified.

"How did you get down there?" I ask him, checking to make sure he isn't too badly damaged.

"I was running from something and..." His voice fades as we both hear loud stomps coming towards us. What peers out from the trees is not like us. It is very far from being a toy.

"W-Woody... We have to jump."

"Buzz, are you serious? Can't we fight it?" I ask, keeping my voice down and my eyes on the monster in front of us.

"He's too strong, I tried." He starts to back up, gripping my hand and pulling me with him. I try to say something before we jump but I can't get it out in time. As we fall, Buzz pulls me in by the waist and hugs me.

"Woody, before we die, I-I want you to know that I love you, and I don't mean as a friend."

"Buzz, I," I look at the bottom of the cliff and then back at Buzz. "I love you too."

Everything goes dark after I say that. All around me is an endless, pitch-black void. The only noise is a constant whisper in my head saying "Tell him the truth." It continues for some time, I try to call out for help, but the voice keeps getting louder and louder. I feel like I'm drowning.