Chapter Thirty-Eight: The Rising Sun

<><><><><><><><><><>

I began to pick up on faint noises. What sounded like far away screaming and the stamping of feet. Then, the screaming grew louder, and I realized it was coming from everywhere. The soldiers on the ground and walls were shouting, as Uruk-Hai soldiers poured in through the newly-made hole in the outer walls.

"Elena!" came a faraway voice, "My Lady! Elena!"

I shook my head, trying to get rid of the ringing and fogginess. And in an instant I was tuned back into the battle, my senses fully functional. I realized Ailen had been calling me. Uruk-Hai stormed past us, likely brushing us off as dead. I looked around, my eyes narrowing in on Ailen's blade, a few feet away. I looked back at Ailen, who in turn, watched me with wide, terrified eyes.

"Okay," I nodded, sheathing my dagger, and taking his hand, "I'm going to fight us out, do you understand, Ailen? You must stay behind me at all times, no matter what. When we pass your blade, you will pick it up as fast as you can manage, then follow me out of the fray."

Ailen nodded rapidly, his eyes scanning the endless stream of charging Uruk-Hai. Fighters from the walls made their way down to face them, some completely abandoning the ladders that were still being used as points of entry.

"On my count. And do not let go of my hand," I said, "One... Two... Now!"

I sprung to my feet and made for the inner walls out of the fray, Ailen following my lead, our hands still joint. Uruk-Hai attacked from all sides, swinging their weapons at me, which I deflected just long enough for Ailen and I to slip by uninjured. When we passed his sword, the boy did just I'd instructed, stooping to collect his weapon and returning to my side with seconds.

We pressed on, and I counted under my breath as I downed our enemies, "Seventeen, eighteen, nineteen..."

"Brace the gate!" I could hear Théoden command over his army.

Moments later a heavy thud resounded through the fortress. They were breaking in the gates,

Ignoring the distress that came from this revelation, I urged Ailen along. At last, we made it to the innermost walls, where the battle had yet to grow too severe. Here, I stooped to speak with Ailen, who appeared terrified as I scanned the battle around us.

"Stay safe," I said, clapping him on the shoulder, "And stay within shouting distance of me."

He nodded, and I handed him the shield as I'd done Gimli. He accepted it, holding it in his left hand, and his blade in his right. Another sonorous thud sounded from the causeway. I offered Ailen an encouraging smile, before turning back into the fray.

Uruk-Hai continued to pour through the hole in the wall, and were met in equal force by terror-driven fighters, under threat of their wives, sisters, mothers, and children being slaughtered by the Uruk-Hai who came ever-closer to the caves.

As I re-entered the chaos of battle, my eyes found Aragorn in the crowd, who continued to launch commands at his fighters. Then, I saw Gimli, who spluttered in the drainage water, his axe flying around in a flurry at the oncoming Uruk-Hai.

"Gimli!" I cried, racing to the aid of my friend.

With my free hand, I pulled a spear from an Uruk-Hai corpse, launching it at the Uruk-Hai standing menacingly over Gimli. It fell on its side, the spear having pierced directly through its scull. I unsheathed my dagger once I'd reach Gimli, slicing open the neck of an approaching Uruk-Hai. With my long sword, I expertly decapitated another. Gimli was on his feet at this point, grumbling in frustration.